Ultimate High School Senior Checklist

Ultimate High School Senior Checklist

So much to do, so little time.

254
Ultimate High School Senior Checklist
CollegeOwlz

Senior year can be an extremely stressful time for high school students, believe me I know. Just last year I was in your shoes. It's an interesting situation because you still have finals, you still have to graduate, but your motivation is at an all-time low. I mean, mine was too. With only a month left in high school, it's hard to put the effort into all the busy work and mindless assignments teachers give (there's none of that in college, I promise). So I've compiled a no-fail checklist for you high school seniors. It's partially hoping you learn from my mistakes, and partially knowing what happens after high school. At any rate, I hope this helps you like I wish it would've helped me.

1. Go to class

I know there are like seven "Senior Skip Days," but don't fall prey. Lots of schools require less than a certain number of absences in order for students to exempt their finals.The best thing I could have done for myself senior year was exempt all but one of my finals. It took a lot of pressure off of the end of the year, and that helped me a lot. Even if you can't exempt your finals, still go to class. You'll know the material better and feel more confident to take your final.

2. Take AP exams

Kind of a precursor to this step is to do some research about the college(s) you're interested in. Most colleges have an "AP guide" where they outline what exams go for college credit at their schools. Also, know what grade you have to get on your exams for them to count. Some colleges require a 3, others 4's and 5's. With that being said, even if you think you aren't very strong in a certain subject, my advice would still be to take the AP test. There are plenty of outlets and ways for you to study before the exam, but you only have one opportunity to take the test. Lots of colleges will take AP credit for general classes, even if they don't take them for that specific topic (for example, my AP English Literature test didn't count for an English class, but it got me credit for my Humanities general education class). Thanks to AP tests, I only have two gen ed classes to take. Trust me, a $93 test is still WAY less expensive than if you're paying for the same class in college. Take advantage of that.

3. Visit potential colleges

Seeing a college campus live, in person, is pretty different from seeing it on their website or social media pages. Do your research and narrow it down to your top schools, and then go visit those ones. It's very important that you "can see yourself" at the school you want to go to. If you visit your top school, and all of a sudden it seems too big, or you absolutely hate the dorms, it might make you rethink going there. In addition to being an academic home, your college campus has to be your actual home-away-from-home, too. Visiting a potential school allows you to walk where you would be walking, and talk to some current students about how they feel on campus. On visits, ask a million questions (as a tour guide myself, we'd rather have that than you ask us no questions). We're happy to tell you our least favorite things about the campus, how our college transition was, and anything else. The important thing is that you end up wherever you feel comfortable. At most college visits, you'll also have the opportunity to chat with admissions and financial representatives, who will help the financial plan work with your dream school.

4. Make memories with your friends

Odds are, some of your closest friends aren't going to the same school as you. (That's okay, I promise you'll make plenty of new friends.) But, you still have the whole semester and summer to go on adventures and make the best of your time together. Take lots of pictures (to keep the memories alive, but also to decorate your brick wall dorm room). When the time does come for you to go off to your separate schools, you're going to put the effort and time into the friendships you want to keep. You don't have to remain friends with every single person you were friends with in high school, but make sure you maintain the ones that mean the most to you.

5. Pick a college

If you are going to college, May 1st is a big day for you. It's National Decision Day, which means it's when most colleges want you to have committed to going to their school and maybe put a deposit down. Just keep that date in mind as you go through the college search process. Some people know where they plan to go from the beginning of senior year, and some people wait until May 1st to decide, and that's totally okay. There's no "right" or "wrong" way. If you have time, go on one more visit to your top choice of school and see if you feel the same way. Join Facebook groups specifically for the freshman class at your school to get to know people before you get on campus.

6. Make sure you thank your teachers

Everyone knows that high schoolers can be a pain, and teachers have the patience of Saints to come every day and try to teach. A classroom full of tired, cranky, sassy students is not the ideal classroom, but they come to school, earlier than you do, and they give it their best effort. So if there's a teacher who has been particularly influential on you, let them know. A simple "thank you" or handwritten note can mean the world to them. I had several teachers who helped me with the college search process or helped me discover what I wanted to do with my life. I probably wouldn't be where I am, doing what I do if it wasn't for them. After graduation, try to keep in touch with them. I've already gone back to a few of my teachers for advice and it's a good relationship to keep going (plus, lots of them post funny stuff on Facebook).

7. Graduate!!

You've been waiting for Graduation Day for like, forever. Ever since Kindergarten pretty much. Now it's finally here!! So as you sit through three hours of dull speeches and the reading of students names (some of whom you've never met or heard of), remember how hard you've worked and how much you deserve this. This is your one day to bask in your achievements because graduating high school is a big deal. Take lots of pictures with all your friends and family, go out to a fancy dinner, and be proud of yourself.

8. Shop for dorm supplies little by little

Over the summer, try to pick up stuff for your dorm as you go, and not go on one massive shopping spree. Know some of the things you need and want, and keep an eye out for them as the summer goes on. Grab some towels here, a comforter and desk chair there. Start a pile in your basement of college stuff so it's all in one spot. It'll make it easier for you to pack, too. If you grab the things you'll need for college at various times through the summer, you can get what's on sale, and avoid an astronomical bill at the end. Believe me, your parents' pocketbook will thank me.

9. Spend time with your parents

Just like you're going miss all of your friends, you're for sure going to miss your parents, even if you don't think you will. What's more is they're going to miss you a bunch too. Make time to do fun things with them, even if it's going on a hike together, or seeing a movie as a family. You might not have the opportunity to have family game night at a moment's notice in college. Make some memories, and take some pictures of the fun you're having and take them with you to school (and leave a few back home for your family, too).