The Ultimate Guide To Surviving Your Freshman Year Of College

High school is over already? What will college be like?

84

Depending on where you went to school, and how strict your teachers were… most people would agree that, during your high school years, there were teachers constantly reminding you of the due dates for essays or projects! They were also reminding you of when there were going to be quizzes or tests! Teachers were more likely to chase you down to make sure you had assignments completed, and if you did not finish quizzes or tests, they would give you extra time during class to complete them. Basically, most of us were very lucky, especially if we procrastinated in high school. However, college is a bit different and in order to be successful, make sure you follow these pieces of advice:

1. Go To Class Everyday And Be On Time (unless it is an actual emergency, ex. family, health, problems with transportation, and weather).

Professors like for their students to always be on time. It makes their lives easier when they do not have to repeat what they plan to complete that day, or announcements about possible changes to the syllabi.

2. Always Be Prepared.

It is important to always make sure you have your materials for your classes with you. You should always have beverages, food, money, your Student ID, and other personal items with you.

3. Do Not Procrastinate.

Yes, it is easier said than done. But, it is very important to keep up with all the syllabi given so you will not have to stress about finishing assignments by the deadline.

4. Study.

It is important to not wait until a few days before exams to start studying. Also, do not study for a long period of time without resting. You will end up having a difficult time with retaining information.

5. Study Groups Are Helpful.

You can ask people in your classes if they understand the material if you are struggling. Then, find time to meet to go over the material together. The library is a great place to have study groups. This is a great opportunity to form friendships.

6. Meet With A Tutor.

This is another way to get help if you are not understanding the material in your classes.

7. Meet With Your Professors During Their Office Hours.

Professors like their students to visit them during their office hours if they are having problems understanding the material. They do not like it if students are meeting with them at the last minute.

8. Explore The Campus Ahead Of Time Before The Semester Starts.

This is very helpful since you will know where your classes are located. You will not have to worry about where they are when you have them. You will also know where the services offered at the college are located.

9. Have An Idea Of What You Would Like To Major In. But If You Are Undecided Do Not Worry.

When some people enter college, they know exactly what they want to do. Other students have no idea what they want to major in. During your freshman and sophomore year, you can discover your interests by taking courses that seem interesting to you.

10. Stay Organized.

This goes along with being prepared. It is important to make sure you find a way to remember the dates for assignments. For example, make sure you use planners, sticky notes, or reminders in your phone to help you remember.

11. Look For Clubs You Are Interested In Joining.

If you did not join any clubs in high school, you should think about joining something in college. Or, if there does not seem to be any clubs that catch your interest, you could make your own club. Clubs can help you gain confidence, social skills, and potential resume experience.

12. Hang In There, It Is Worth It.

Yes, college can be stressful. But once you get your degree(s), it is something to be proud of because you stayed focused and did not give up.