tri delta fundraising

University Of Kentucky Tri Delta Is Slayin' Their Fundraising Goals All Year Long

The UK Tri Delta Chapter raised over $20,000 for St. Jude Children's Hospital in less than 24 hours.

703
Jillian Lowe

As some may know, philanthropy is one of the main components for college students joining a sorority or fraternity. Students all join together to raise money or awareness for a cause that their chapter is passionate about. Specifically, the Tri Delta, Delta Rho Chapter at the University of Kentucky, is committed to working with St. Jude's Research Hospital. Tri Delta has been working very closely with St. Jude since 1999, but this year, they chose to take fundraising to another level.

Not only does Delta Rho have a commitment to the children of St. Jude, but so do other chapters across the nation as well. In 2014, Tri Delta committed to raising $60 million in just 10 years. Not only 3 years later, Tri Delta also reached their halfway mark of $30 million by January 2018.

Specifically, at UK, the Tri Delta Philanthropy team consists of 3 girls; lead by Jessica Malatia. Jess is in charge of planning the 4 events that are held on campus to raise money and awareness for St. Jude.

On September 25th, 2018, the optimistic, and passionate girls of University of Kentucky Tri Delta chapter came together to reach their goal of raising $20,000 in 24 hours for St. Jude Children's Research Hospital.

Each member was asked to spread the word to their friends, families, co-workers, and anyone they could get in contact with. Not even 12 hours into the challenge, the chapter had raised over $10,000, their halfway mark. By the end of the 24-hour mark, the chapter had raised over $33,000 for St. Jude.

Madie Goodale, member of Tri Delta expresses her shock and excitement when the final number was revealed, "when the philanthropy team told us we were going to raise $20,000 in only 24 hours, I was very nervous but also excited to see how much money we could raise. I was absolutely blown away when we had passed our goal by over $13,000." This incredible success was just the start to an amazing year of raising money and spreading awareness.

Another event held on campus is called the Delta House of Pancakes, or as members call it, "Dhop." The chapter members all come together on a Friday night to make pancakes and other breakfast food to serve to anyone on campus. Supporters can come and pay just $5 to spend their night eating as many pancakes as they like. This year at Dhop, the chapter raised $1,376 donated directly to St. Jude.

Assistant Philanthropy chairman, Allie Stevens, reflects on her favorite event she has worked on, "Since being a member of the philanthropy team, my favorite event has without a doubt been DHOP. I think it's super fun because of how easy it is for other chapters and our own sisters to get involved and learn more about St. Jude!"

Another fundraising event the Philanthropy team plans is called "Kentucky's Got Talent." This has been one of the more recent additions to the fundraising, Jess created the idea, and the first talent show was an extreme success. "Kentucky's Got Talent was a brand new event that created an opportunity for individuals to participate in a Talent Show regardless of physical or intellectual ability, which is why it's my favorite. Kentucky's Got Talent raised over $12,000 for St. Jude and helped raise $5,000 toward Down Syndrome Research. This event allowed any person in the Lexington community the opportunity to come together and raise money for a cause bigger than themselves and it is something I'll always remember."

Not only is the chapter lucky enough to help plan and participate in the fundraising events, but members also have the opportunity to visit the hospital, located in Memphis, Tennessee. Throughout this trip, members are able to get a tour of the hospital, and actually see where all their hard work and fundraising has done for the patients and families of St. Jude. Allie Stevens said, "By far my favorite memory since being on the philanthropy team was being able to visit the hospital with Jessica and Alli Sipes this summer and seeing just how much all of our hard work pays off for the sweet St. Jude kiddos!"

The philanthropy team dedicates lots of time, energy, and passion into raising money and awareness for the children being treated at St. Jude. Philanthropy chairman Jess Malaita said, "being able to serve as philanthropy chair has been a blessing. The impact we make on the families and patients of St. Jude is something that will always hold a place in my heart."