Why Your Sorority Is Like Your Family

Why Your Sorority Is Like Your Family

The dysfunctional yet beautiful family that exists in a sorority.

44
Why Your Sorority Is Like Your Family

You have that one sister you are always excited to see

Ever in the car on the way to a family party and there is that one cousin that you are always excited to see? You literally run to that person, and that person is probably the only reason you are going to the family party in the first place.

These are the exact same feelings you encounter for a particular sister in your organization. As soon as you see her at a chapter meeting or a sisterhood event, you yell out each other's names and give each other the most exaggerated hug as if you haven’t seen each other in years.

You have that one sister that you can go to for anything

There is a particular person in your family, whether it is your parent, sibling, aunt, uncle or cousin, who you can go to for anything. Whether you are heartbroken about something and need to be consoled, having problems and need some advice, or have great news that you are dying to share, this family member is the one you can always turn to. You trust this person the most out of everyone in your family.

Similarly, out of all of the members in your sorority, there is one sister in particular that has always been your backbone. Whether it is at your best or worst times, having this person by your side makes everything better. She is honestly your truest sister, and you don’t know what you would do without her.

You have that one sister that is all about the gossip

We all have that one aunt that either has some gossip to say to you or is waiting for you to fill her in on the latest gossip. Her mouth is always running, and no matter what you try to have a conversation with her about, it always leads to some drama.

Likewise, there is always that sister that is a gossip all-star. Whether she is sure if something is actually true or not, she will talk about it and always have her opinion on the situation. If you want a TMZ or Access Hollywood episode of the members in your sorority, this sister will give it to you.

You have that one sister that is a snitch

There is always that younger sibling, cousin, niece or nephew that will snitch on you the second that he or she gets the chance. You have to be extremely careful with what you do or say around this person. Otherwise, your parents will magically find out about something bad you did and you are grounded for two months.

The same goes for a sister in your organization. If it is your sorority’s dry week period, don’t you even think about wearing hand sanitizer or going to class, because this sister will snitch on you for alcohol consumption and being intimate with boys. This sister is the snitch police, so be careful with what you say or do around her, or else you will be facing probation jail time.

You have that one sister that you pretend to like

Family is all about unity, love and bonding, but lets be honest—there is that one family member that you just don’t like. As you go around saying hi to everyone at a family gathering, you greet this family member as a matter of respect, whether you like it or not.

This is also a situation that is encountered with a particular sister in your sorority. Maybe this sister stinks a little, annoys you, has an attitude or your personalities simply do not match up. However, you still make the effort to at least smile at this sister, because you want to respect the meaning of sisterhood.

You have that one sister that is always getting in trouble

There is often that one family member of yours that is the biggest troublemaker ever. You really can’t ever invite this family member to go out somewhere or have a sleep over at your house, because he or she is always grounded.

You can also find this troublemaker in your sorority. Either she is caught partying hard during dry period, or she has been absent for 100 mandatory chapter meetings. For one reason or another, this sister of yours always finds herself breaking the rules, so when you see her you usually ask her: “What did you do this time, missy?”

You have that one sister that is a goody two-shoes

Sometimes there is a group of people in your family that gets together and makes plans to do something fun and outrageous. Everyone in your family could agree to go do something like clubbing, bar hopping, skydiving or gun shooting. However, there is that one family member that won’t join in on the plans because he or she is too shy or reserved to try anything that is unfamiliar to her. This person is always on his or her best behavior and will not do anything that could possibly change that.

The same goes for a particular sister in your sorority. She is such an innocent, perfectly behaved person, and you will never catch her doing anything outrageous. Out of everyone, she follows the rules the best and is very respectful, but sometimes you wished you could get her to come out of her comfort zone and have some fun.

You have that one sister that will always make you laugh

There is always that goofball in your family that always has a funny story to tell or a hilarious joke or video to show you. This person is the family clown, and you appreciate the happiness this person spreads.

This goofball also exists in your sorority. If you see her, she is bound to make you cry tears of laughter or make your abs hurt from laughing so hard. You could be having the worst day, and one simple phrase from this person will give you instant joy. Her comedic, foolish personality keeps your spirits up, and you love it.

You have that one sister that is perfect

In your family there tends to be one person that everyone absolutely loves and admires. This person is extremely caring and giving, ultimately resembling what a true family member should be like. This person brings everyone in your family together, making the bond between everyone so much stronger.

Likewise, there is a specific woman in your organization that genuinely and beautifully resembles the values of your sorority. She is such a caring person, always spreading happiness throughout your organization. She accepts and loves everyone as they are and everyone admires her for this—she really is perfect whether she believes it or not.

Just like the members of your family, every sister in your sorority is different. That’s really what makes a family real and that’s really what makes a sisterhood real—being different. Whether we argue, don’t get along all the time, or disagree about certain things, at the end of the day there is love and support. You were born into a certain family for a reason, just as you were placed into a specific sorority for a reason, and all of these individuals have and will continue to shape you into the person you are in one way or another.