The Diary Of An Uber Driver Far Away From Home

The only thing that was keeping me moving was the monster drink that was waiting for me at the cup holder next to my driver's seat.

136

It was a Friday evening, and I got done with my classes early. As usual, I headed to St. Louis to work as an Uber driver. I was tired from my exams and from all the projects that were due in the same week. The only thing that was keeping me moving was the monster drink that was waiting for me at the cup holder next to my driver's seat.

It was a beautiful day outside, and I wanted to take a break from all the hustle and bustle of life. Plus, my next day was already booked with a big work plan. I felt sullen and depressed. I already knew that I would be in my bed only at around 4 a.m. in the morning.

I readied myself with the big gulp of monster drink like a soldier preparing for the battle. Then I turned on my Uber application. Immediately, I heard a beep that signaled a new trip request for me. I accepted the request and headed towards the pickup location to pick up my first passenger of the day. I hoped for a long drive to the suburbs, so I could drive smoothly listening to good music. I reached the destination and Samantha, who was my first passenger, was standing on the street waving at me with a big smile on her face. I picked her up with a welcoming smile. She climbed into the backseat of the car along with her friends.

They all looked beautiful in their party dresses and maybe a little tipsy before they headed out to the bar. I started the trip and figured out that they were going to a club in downtown. I smiled to myself knowing that it was a decent distance that I would be driving.

On our way to downtown, I heard them talk about a broad range of topics. They switched their topic from a summer internship, a party in their basement, and finally to the guys that had been trying to pursue them. One of the girls exclaimed that she was dating an engineer who worked for Boeing. She proudly announced that he recently asked her to marry him. I was congratulating her in my own thoughts when she suddenly exclaimed that he was too old for her. Therefore, she was planning on breaking up with him soon. Everyone was quiet. I felt sad for the guy. Then I started to question myself, "what if something similar happens to me when I am madly in love with someone?" I was scared. Then I consoled myself, "Maybe the guy won’t be surprised."

I dropped them off at the club. Immediately, I got another trip request at the club. It was a busy night, and I had already completed twenty rides. It was 3 in the morning. I decided to take one last ride before I called it a night. Suddenly, my phone beeped with a new ride request. It felt like my phone was shouting at me to pick it up quickly. I accepted the ride and drove towards the pickup location. After waiting for ten minutes, a drunk couple walked towards my car. The guy was holding the girl tightly, who in my opinion, was trying to get back to the club. He bent down to my window and asked, “Pratik?” I said yes, and he opened the back door for the lady and sat in the backseat.

I was too tired to make any conversation. All I wanted to do was drive back home and crawl into my bed. I turned the music a little louder so that I didn't have to listen to anything they said or make any conversation. Then the guy asked, “Driver, how is your night?” I immediately sensed a tone of disrespect in his voice. I just thought to myself, “I have a name that you could have used.” Then I replied, “It’s alright” even if I didn’t want to. Then he asked me again, “Where are you from?” I got lost in my thoughts remembering about the place where I’m from, which is a small village in Nepal, surrounded by mountains and hills everywhere.

The place holds my dear childhood memories. I remembered my Mom, my Dad, my family, relatives, and friends. It felt as if years had passed within a blink of my eye. I could recollect everything before answering back the stranger, “Nepal.” He questioned again, “Is it in the Middle East, or in India?” I already expected that question considering many past experiences from talking to other passengers. Then I replied to him, “It is small country between China and India.” He affirmed back confidently, “That’s what I thought.” I smiled at his fake confidence.

I dropped them off at their destination and headed back home. It was already 3:40 a.m. I was hungry and tired. Above all, I was consumed with many questions. The quiet night felt like a perfect moment of meditation and I was reflecting on myself. “What am I doing here, away from home and my family?” I realized that it had already been five years since I had been away from home.

"I am in one of the best places in the world pursuing a degree that I had always dreamt of, but does it make any sense when I am away from the people that I love?" "Is it worth running for dreams that are too big to fit in this lifetime?" I could see everyone seeking for the same things, either by going to a bar or going to a Church. They were all looking for happiness; everyone was trying to achieve it in their own way.

I reached my apartment at 4:30 a.m. I rushed towards my bed. It is when I realized that my version of the happiness had to do with me leaving my home to study abroad to pursue a career in Engineering. I was still wondering if I was getting any closer in my pursuit of happiness? Then I fell asleep only to dream about my home again.