Types of Drones and What They Are Used For

Drones

28

Are you looking to get a bird’s eye view of the world from the sky without having to fly an aircraft to enjoy the experience? If that’s the case, then acquiring a drone will do wonders for your sense of adventure. But first, before jumping right into your purchase, it is best to grasp the ins and outs of drones so that you can make the best decision.

Of course, like selecting a camping site or making any other decision concerning activities that need you to spend some money, such as GGBET casino online gaming, you must consider your options critically. It’s the only way you’ll ultimately enjoy your experience. Thus, it is vital to understand the different types of drones in the market, their limitations, and how you can use them before digging into your pocket to purchase one.

What Are Drones?

The simple way to describe a drone is that it is an unpiloted aircraft, often described as an Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV). For years, drones have been known to carry out a wide range of tasks, from what may be deemed as mundane as being a toy to some pretty complicated military missions.

Interestingly, drones were initially developed for military action, but as time has gone by, they have steadily made their way to the public. And in case you didn’t know, many other technologies or items used in the modern world today by the general population were first developed for the military. So now that you understand the definition of a drone, let’s look at the different types that exist today for the mainstream market.

Single-Rotor Drones

Single-rotor drones may be the most basic type of drones by design, but far be it for us to say that they are the simplest in terms of operations. In fact, the opposite of our prior statement could suffice. However, single-rotor drones are some of the hardest to fly, and extensive training is needed to operate them.

Their single-rotor design, however, generates more thrust than their multi-rotor counterparts. As a result, single-rotor drones are way faster and cover larger areas than multi-rotor drones. Another area where the single-rotor drone takes the upper hand is that it is more suited to carrying heavier loads than multi-rotor drones. Owing to their ability to carry heavier loads, single-rotor drones may be used by surveyors and construction workers to carry loads up to a maximum of 40Kg.

Multi-Rotor Drones

Unlike a single-rotor drone which, as its name suggests, only has one rotor, multi-rotor drones have several rotors positioned strategically on the craft. The presence of the extra rotors makes the craft attain much better balance as it hovers in the air. And while this can be viewed positively, it is also true that the more rotors a drone has, the less time the craft can remain airborne. Thus, multi-rotor drones are best suited for covering shorter distances. Also, as a general rule of thumb in the drone community, it is known that multi-rotor drones cannot carry a heavy load that could offset the rotors’ balance and leads to a crash.

Additionally, given that drones are the easiest and cheapest option to get a bird’s eye view of the sky, multi-rotor drones are the most common type used today. They are, therefore, primarily used for aerial inspections of projects such as powerlines, bridges, and wind turbines. They are also used for aerial video shoots and photography.

Fixed-Wing Drones

Unlike single- and multi-rotor drones, fixed-wing drones do not have a rotor. In their place, they have wings similar to what a typical airplane has. The presence of wings, however, means that even their vertical launch may be more challenging to fly than the other types of drones we have just discussed.

Additionally, fixed-wing drones cannot hover in one place for too long, making them unsuitable for activities that require hovering over a spot. With a minimum 90-minute flying time, fixed-wing drones are instead suited for a long-range survey as they can travel over pretty long distances.

Fixed-Wing Hybrid Drones

These types of drones bring out the best elements of fixed-wing drones and combine them with those of rotor-based drones into one impressive UAV. It has rotors attached to its fixed wings giving it dynamic advantages over the other standard types of drones. However, it’s worth pointing out that their designs are still at the inception stage and are currently not as readily available in the market as the other types.

Rounding up the Types of Drones

Whatever reason you want to buy your drone, here’s a quick summary of the pros and cons of each type to help you make the best possible decision.

Drone Type

Positives

Negatives

Multi-rotor

• Easy to use
  • Fairly affordable
  • Easily accessible
  • Short fly times
  • Require a lot of energy to operate
  • Cannot carry heavy loads

Single-rotor

• Simple to use
  • Built strong and durable
  • Can carry heavy loads
  • Complex to use
  • Expensive
  • Require a lot of maintenance

Fixed-wing

• May cover longer distances
  • Can fly at a high altitude
  • Can carry heavy loads
  • Expensive
  • Cannot hover the way drones can hover helicopter style

Fixed-wing hybrid

• Offers the best of both worlds (rotor and fixed-wing drones)
  • Allows you to either hover or fly around.
  • Only a few are available in the market.