The Two-Party System Will Stay With America

The United States government has a two-party system that both helps and complicates matters in regards to lawmaking. It has drawn ire from many Americans, especially in the modern era. Despite protests of the two-party system of the United States government over time, it has remained intact. This government system consisting of two separate parties has been steadfast since its inception, and there will be no change anytime soon.

The United States two-party system consists of the Democratic Party and the Republican Party. Both parties have a say in Congress, although one of them has more power in the Senate and/or House of Representatives based on elections. This has been especially prevalent with the Republican Party in recent times, doing seemingly whatever they want because they have control over the House and the Senate.

Despite the issues with the two-party system, it will remain the norm of American government for a number of reasons.

1. The two parties cannot become a unified party

The Democratic and Republican Parties have differing ideas and therefore have trouble getting along. They cannot consistently agree on much, and it seems nearly infeasible to get them to join forces. Even then, this unified party may be extremely dysfunctional. It does not seem like this system will change anytime soon, especially with the Republicans in control of Congress.

2. The two-party system also has some positive aspects

It prevents input from a single set of ideals, and allows a multitude of ideas from each representative. It is the reason we have crucial laws and precedents that have affected how the U.S. government has avoided disaster and how it operates today.

3. It is all America has for the moment

The two-party system is far from perfect, but it is the only feasible type of government that works for the United States in current times. Doing a massive overhaul would likely lead to even more dissent and turmoil, especially if the U.S. decides to embrace communism.

4. Traditionalists prefer to keep things the same

There is a sizable amount of dissatisfaction among Americans regarding the Democratic and Republican Parties, but there are extreme traditionalists in this country who prefer to keep things exactly as they are. The reasoning for this varies, but they do not want to embrace change. This applies to a bevy of matters outside the government itself, and changing their minds on a whim does not seem likely for the foreseeable future.

5. Protest votes for independent presidential candidates are too few in number

When presidential elections roll around, votes are cast for independent candidates as a form of protest. This was the case with the 2016 presidential election, with Americans voting for independent candidates Gary Johnson and Jill Stein. These voters wanted to bring about a reformation of the two-party system by not voting for either Donald Trump or Hillary Clinton.

The problem is, there are not enough Americans who wish to see the two-party system changed. There are too many people who support Democratic or Republican nominees.