Two Netflix Orignals That Everyone Has Been Sleeping On

It's time to wake up, people!

52
Photo by Jane Duursma on Unsplash

It is safe to say that almost everyone knows what Netflix is.

We all need our daily fix which consists of countless hours indulging in the TV shows that we've been stuck on or movies that we've been dying to see. Fortunately, Netflix has a wide selection of shows, movies, and even documentaries; so there's something for even the pickiest individual to appreciate.

I wouldn't call myself picky, I just know what I like. In mostly all of the things I watch, there has to be some sort of connection between the plot and setting and my own life experiences.

I can appreciate the themes of friendship and loyalty in "Stranger Things" (I watched the ENTIRE second season in two days), as well as the humor and tragedy in "Orange is the New Black." These are two of the most popular Netflix originals, and 9 times out of 10, anyone that has access to an account has at least made an attempt at watching one of the two. I personally like them, and I can't wait until there's more for me to watch!

While both of these titles are fantastic, I believe that the shows and movies that we hardly hear about should also be shown the same amount of love. In fact, as you may have noticed in the title, I have two in mind that I would like to discuss: "The Get Down "and "Roxanne Roxanne"; which are both about the rise of hip-hop music. I LOVE old hip-hop, and that is why these two Netflix Originals will always have my heart!

The Get Down

Man oh man, where do I even begin with this one? I literally loved everything about this short-lived masterpiece! Everything from the costume design, the setting, the soundtrack, to the storyline itself, and so much more. All of the components fit together perfectly to set the tone and scene of a poverty-stricken Bronx, New York in the late 1970s. The disco scene was on the brink of death and hip-hop culture was on the rise.

"The Get Down "included art forms such as urban fashion, graffiti, breakdancing, and hip-hop of course! The show focuses on a group of young ambitious teenagers; Zeke, Dizzie, Ra-Ra, Boo-Boo, and the iconic Shaolin Fantastic. The show also touches on the drug epidemic and political corruption, two things that were very prevalent in America's history during the 20th century.

For the most part, the story focuses on Ezekiel, a gifted writer from South Bronx who has potential but doesn't want to push himself. Throughout the first season we watch a young Zeke pursuing the two things he loves the most; making music, and his longtime crush, Mylene Cruz. Zeke and four of his buddies form a hip-hop group, calling themselves "The Get Down Brothers," where one of them would be the DJ, while the rest of the guys rap, dance, and sometimes even sing.

For me, there was never a dull moment for me while watching, and I had high hopes for the series. In fact, a few minutes after I finished the season, I remember searching the internet for confirmation of a second season. Imagine my heartbreak after finding out that there wasn't going to be one; I was in my feelings for the rest of the day!

After watching the show, I decided that I'd give rapping a try and write my own bars, something I failed quite miserably at. Oh well, I better just leave it to the professionals.

Roxanne Roxanne

You may have picked up that I am obsessed with hip-hop and the rise of it. I am a hardcore fan of early hip-hop, Factors such as the rhyming schemes and the flow of the lyrics can come together to create a musical gem. These things can be easily found in the works of Roxanne Shanté, the real-life hip-hop artist to whom this film is dedicated.

The film is set in the early 1980s and focuses on Lolita Shanté Gooden, a young aspiring artist who uses "Roxanne Shanté" as her stage name. She is mostly known for her track called "Roxanne's Revenge," which was a response to the group, U.T.F.O. after they had canceled a performance at a show they were promoting. Shanté was only 14 when she teamed up with producer Marley Marl to create the hit that had 250,000 copies sold in New York alone. She is considered to be one of the most influential MCs that paved the way for future generations to come.

In the film" Roxanne Roxanne," Shanté is in her teens and a local sensation. Everyone adored her and she was bound to blow up, but she got pregnant at the age of 15. The movie covers the topics of domestic violence and teen pregnancy. She is forced to stay in an abusive relationship with a man much older than her, and it affected her relationships with her family and friends and her career.

Regardless, she prevailed and continued to make music up until she retired at 25 years of age.

You don't HAVE to watch these, I get it! However, I would highly recommend them! Everyone has their own style and just because I like these titles, it doesn't necessarily mean that everyone else will.

I think Netflix made a great decision in producing these two. Viewers have the opportunity to gain some insight into hip-hop and how it started. Who knows, maybe we can get a series about Rock n' Roll or the EDM scene.

Anything that Netflix does that involves music, you can be certain that I'm going to at least take a chance on it!