5 Pieces of Equipment You Need to Start Streaming

Lights. Video. Stream! But on a budget!

44

Streaming can get expensive.

As the COVID-19 pandemic continues, more and more people are taking up the idea of streaming in order to fill in the downtime caused by world-wide quarantines. Staying home and working remotely offers many individuals the opportunity to invest and begin creating content on platforms such as Twitch, YouTube, and more. While some buy the most expensive streaming equipment in order to create content for their viewers, streaming beginners don't necessarily have to break the bank in order to stream—or most importantly—have fun! So, here at Odyssey, we've compiled a list of five budget-friendly items (from a pre-built gaming computer with future customization to background lighting and a microphone) as we continue to use our free-time for those new endeavors we've all wanted to try out.

1) The TONOR USB Microphone

The TONOR USB microphone, depending on the kit you buy, comes with either a boom arm (which clams to the side of any desk or table), and includes accessories such as a shock mount to mute any mehcanically transmittable noise on a flat surface, pop filter and microphone cover to ensure better sound quality when speaking into the microphone itself. When compared to streaming favorites such as the Blue Yeti USB microphone, the $60 price tag is a great budget-friendly alternative for those starting to stream or hope to invest in pricier accessories down the line. The sound quality is comparable to streaming favorites, and the TONOR USB microphone is a great way for up-and-coming streamers to begin creating visual content.

2) Neewer Ring Light

Every stream needs to be well lit; if anything, lighting focus around you in your stream can even out the visual component of your stream. A lot of times, new streamers find themselves either in darkness or in light that saturates them too much. That's why ring lights are so important, and that's also why we've decided to showcase the Neewer 18" Ring Light. The Neewer ring light offers users dimming and brightening capabilities that cover a wide area; moreover, since the Neewer ring light is rather large, streamers may find it a worthwhile investment as their channels grow and their stremaing spaces require more or less light when going live. The Neewer ring light also come with a soft tube stand that allows for changes in height, and the middle of the ring light comes with a clamp to house recording devices such as DSLRs or smartphones to record anything from full-on professional videos to TikToks and more. Valued at $69.99 currently on Amazon due to a sale, the Neewer ring light is a good introduction into the world of video lighting.

3) iBUYPOWER Pro Gaming PC Computer

This one is on the furthest end of our budget-friendly here at Odyssey as all gaming computers are not cheap. Most streamers do use their computers as their main streaming computers; however, PC gaming and content creation is not the only way to stream. Some streamers on Twitch have cameras, lights, and create physical content that their viewers enjoy (like painting, ASMR, and more), and many streamers screen-capture content from other devices such video game consoles themselves. ONly buy a brand new computer if you have to, and if you have another device that you can try a stream out on first, attempt that before making a large purchase. Nonetheless, for those interested gaming-related content, we've chosen to present the iBUYPOWER Pro Gaming PC Computer as our preferred streaming computer. First off, the $870 price tag is relatively cheap compared to Alienware or Razor computers that generally start around the $12,000 range and up. The iBUYPOWER computer--alongside other brands such as iCyberPower or Skytech--offer cost-effective gaming computers on sites like Amazon for ease of shipping. Moreover, the iBUYPOWER gaming computer allows for future customization as, like all computers, the hardware must be updated and switched out when current hardware becomes obsolete. While not the flashiest or the most exciting, the future customization proves to be one of the biggest qualities for newbie streamers and those unsure of where their streaming career goes. Not only that, but having the ability to switch out the hardware yourself instead of buying a new computer altogether or having to pay a company to do it allows for a better outcome in updating and enhancing one's computer and overall streaming experience.

4) Logitech C920 Pro HD Webcam

The Logitech C920 Pro HD Webcam is one of the best webcams for streaming and non-streaming related video recording. The Logitech software allows users to adjust and configure aspects such as contrast, exposure, saturation, and more. In conjunction with a streaming set-up's lighting, the C920 allows for video customization and full HD 1080p filming without going into debt or worrying about groceries the next day. Plus, the webcam mounts onto any respective monitor, and it is adjustable to place yourself or whatever content at the perfect angle. the webcam even comes with built-in microphones, and provides a sharp visual rendering. At $80, the C920 serves multiple functions for at an affordable price.

5) LED Flood Lights

Our last addition to the list is more for the general stream aesthetics than it is necessary for streaming itself. Like all things, appearance is important, and on any streaming platforms, many streamers create a variety of visual environments for their viewers through lighting, in-stream sound effects, pop-ups, stream interfaces, and more. In keeping with the aesthetics of the stream, these Amazon LED Flood Lights are a cost-effective and easy-to-use way to add some backlighting to any stream with the RGB control capabilities. The same effect is possible with LED strip lights; however, some of those get more expensive depending on the size you need to create the necessary lighting environment. Thus, the LED Flood Lights offer a bright, highly saturated, and easy lighting experience both in stream and out, and they can serve multiple purposes depending on their placement and overall use at only $38.29 on Amazon. this is just one type of flood light available on Amazon, and other light variations are possible depending on your budget and overall aesthetic design.