5 Tips I Wish Someone Gave Me When I Started Streaming Games

Helpful hints for those looking to start their streaming journey

120

In recent years, streaming on platforms like Twitch and YouTube have gained massive popularity. Tens of thousands of people will tune in to watch their favorite streamer play games and engage with them in a way that is not possible in any other entertainment medium. A little under a year ago I set off into the world of streaming, creating my own channel in hopes of achieving video game super-stardom. Uh....I didn't. BUT, it has been a amazing experience, and has introduced me to a whole new world and a ton of new friends. It's not as easy as logging into your favorite game and watching the viewers flock in, if you want to find even a little success streaming, here are 5 of the biggest things you need to know.

1. Preparation and practice makes perfect.

Nobody likes watching a movie with terrible production value, where the presentation is lacking, the scene changes randomly and it doesn't have any polish. The same thing applies for your stream channel. You want to make sure that you put that you put the time in to create your scenes, know when you are going to use them, and then practice switching between the different scenes so you have a feel for it. Nothing is worse then having people watching you stream and then accidentally hitting the wrong button and now they are staring at a graphic that makes no sense, missing the game play! Make sure that your microphone and audio levels sound good before you begin streaming as well as testing any games you plan on playing during the stream. You don't want to waste any time while you are live fixing these issues because people aren't going to stick around to watch that.

2. Always. Be. Engaging.

If you have ever perused Twitch or YouTube, chances are you've tuned into a stream just to find someone silently playing the game, making no effort to talk to the people watching him. People come to twitch for the rare opportunity to engage virtually instantly with the people at the center of the entertainment they are consuming. Making sure to greet each person as they type in the chat, and ask and answer questions and generally converse will go a long way in making sure that people will come back and watch.

3. Always be aware that you are being broadcast to the world.

This is an important one; ALWAYS keep the fact that you are being watched on your mind when you are live. People will see and hear everything you say and do in front of that microphone and camera as well as on your screen. Make sure that you are not going to any websites that contain your personal information, or having conversations with someone IRL with your mic live. It's always good when you go on break or step away from the computer to put up a intermission screen with no camera in addition to muting your mic. That way, you get a break from being "in the spotlight" and can take care of what you need to. Additionally, if you are playing games that are multiplayer, keep in mind other players can tune in and see where you have been and use that to gain a unfair advantage over you. Do your best to make it as hard for them as possible!

4. Keep it interesting.

It takes more to talking to your audience to keep them coming back. What you are playing and how you are playing it go a long way in retaining viewers. While it's easy to play the most popular games, they tend to have more streamers streaming them, therefore more competition. It's sometimes easier to play a game a little older or lesser known that has a dedicated fan base. When playing games like FPS (first person shooters), be aware that people don't want to watch you hide in a bush for 30 mins. You are going to want to engage in action as much as you can, while still trying to be competitive. If you are able, hosting giveaways can do a lot to bring new viewers to your stream. There are also games out there that integrate with Twitch and allow the chat to participate in the game alongside you. All of these are ways that allow you to keep your channel fresh and your viewers coming back.

5. Be patient.

The most important tip! You can do all of the above perfectly and more, and you probably will not see more then one or two viewers tuning in when you begin your streaming journey. Some times no one will be watching, but do not despair! Be patient and treat every stream like you are being watched by 100,000 people. When you do get those viewers, be friendly and invite them to follow your page and keep tuning back in. By sticking with it and being consistent you will start to see the fruits of your labor!

While I haven't become a millionaire sitting in my bedroom playing video games, after a year of streaming I am earning a little bit of money from it. That income goes right back into the stream, whether that is buying new games or better equipment. More valuable than that though are the good friends and memories I've made along the way. Streaming is definitely a rising medium, that is nowhere near it's true potential. The last tip I can give is to HAVE FUN. That's what it's all about, right?