21 Things I Look Forward To About Being 21

Coming of age in society is often treated as a rite of passage; this is one of the biggest nights of your life that you won’t remember, and that’s the way that it should be.

1864
pixabay

Coming of age in society is often treated as a rite of passage; this is one of the biggest nights of your life that you won’t remember, and that’s the way that it should be. While my golden birthday is my 21st, the idea of painting the town with every color of vodka doesn’t seem idyllic to someone who is horrible at painting and gets a little anxious after leaving their home for more than a few hours. But that isn’t to say that there aren’t things that I am looking forward to about my birthday. So, in order to prove to you that I’m not a total basket case, I’ve come up with a list of 21 things that I look forward to about being 21.

1. Having the chance to update my driver’s license photo

A lot has changed since I was a junior in high school – I may still make self-deprecating jokes to cope with emotional stress, but I have cooler glasses and I’ve completely changed the color of my hair.

2. Being able to stop in a local pub and grab a drink after class with my friends

There have always been days where I’ve just had a need to sip some wine while I whine about how difficult my life happens to be that day. (Yes, I did that on purpose. Take that however you will.)

3. My dream of making a "Coyote Ugly" reboot can finally come true

I might not be as pretty as Piper Perabo, but I bet LeAnn Rimes can still carry a tune.

4. There’s something magical about reaching a significant age in society’s eyes – the excitement surrounding this age is tangible, and there’s something really cool about saying that you’ve finally made it to that point in life

The debutants of Victorian England had their coronations, and millennial Americans have their Corona-tions. Either way, we’re all still having a good time. I’m just glad that we don’t have to wear corsets and gentleman’s suits in order to do so. Unless you’re into that sort of thing. That’s also okay.

5. I can put the “happy” in “happy hour” in another way besides getting a Happy Meal from McDonald's

Granted, I’m a vegan, but you get my drift.

6. Acknowledging that I am another year closer to seeing the first woman become president, the cure for cancer being discovered and the advent of a streaming service that won’t judge you when you watch 10 episodes of "Gilmore Girls" in succession

7. Realizing that I am one step closer to being able to adopt a fur-baby and form a beautiful, life-long relationship with someone who also doesn’t prefer to wear pants and likes to eat at very odd times of the day/night

8. I don’t know about you, but one of the most exciting things about turning 21 has to do with taking pictures of your drinks and tagging the place that you’re at

Now, before you start throwing Starbucks cups at me for being so basic, hear me out. Am I the only one who thinks that it would be cool to take a photo of a cosmopolitan at the Cosmopolitan in Las Vegas? I am? Well, this is my list, not yours!

9. Five o’ clock can be whenever I want it

Didn't you know that turning 21 comes with the power of time travel? How else does someone like Jennifer Lopez look SO YOUNG despite the fact that she has two kids. Yep, you read that right. Not one. TWO.

This is the same woman and this is also the dance I do after having too much to drink!

10. I’ll be allowed to walk in the “red zones” of casinos without getting the up and down from security guards who have the stature and aggression of someone who was rejected from the WWE

John CeNAH, sir, I’m actually supposed to be here.

11. Being able to vote in the primaries and the presidential election is something that you can do once you turn 18

If you were born in 1995, you might be aware that you missed the last election because you were tragically 17 and unable to fulfill your civic duties (which you were learning all about them in your high school civics class). But, now you can!

12. The holidays with family will be much more tolerable when you’ll be allowed to have some alleviation from the pressing questions

Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year’s Eve won’t sound so dreadful when you’ll be celebrating Dranksgiving, Cheersmas and Booze Year’s Heave!

13. The looks of surprise that I get whenever I order straight shots of espresso at cafés will start to subside because the barista will understand that for I am older and wiser, my intake of coffee is bolder and higher

14. My friends will finally be able to invite me to go to bars with them

For the longest time, they’d invite me out and I’d need to remind them that I was underage. By now, they’ve probably gotten used to that reply, so, I’ll most likely be stuck in the same situation as before.

15. Reaching the age that Adele wrote “Someone Like You” and “Rolling in the Deep” might be intimidating or guilt-inducing, but, to me, it’s a good time to realize that I need to get my life in order and win two armfuls of Grammys and make swear words sound really freaking pretty

The only thing stopping me now is the fact that I couldn’t hold a note if you gave it to me on a handle. But, that’s no big deal, right? Just ask T. Pain about why they created auto-tune. *sizzle*

16. Being 21 just sounds really convenient for me – the ability to pick up some wine and coconut milk ice-cream in one fell swoop is as appealing to me as it is terrifying to my bank account

This just takes the notion of #treatyoself to a whole new level!

17. I can finally relate to that Jimmy Buffet song that has caused a lifelong existential crisis until now -– what if I do like piña coladas and getting caught in the rain? What’s it like to waste away in Margaritaville? There are so many things that I’ve been wondering about since I was a youth!

18. People will finally think that I’m not that young

Being too young to go on drink dates has turned the dating pool into the inflatable-backyard-sad-excuse-of-a pool. You try dating people in their mid-upper 20s before you can go get drinks with them on a Friday night, and come back to tell me how well that works out!

19. When people ask me how old I am, I can tell them that I’m “20-fun” and they might actually believe that I’m an outgoing person (To those who I have used this one on, the joke’s on you!)

- You after reading that sad excuse of a pun, probably.

20. For Christmas last year, I got a plethora of cookbooks with a cocktail section in each of them

This was problematic – how can I make a rosemary white wine spritzer when I can’t purchase one of the main ingredients?! Once, those cookbooks used to mock-tail me. Now, I’ll be able to make those drinks, post pictures of them on Pinterest and Instagram, and get the satisfaction of looking like my life is together because I can craft a decent drink at a whim!

21. Having the opportunity to make this year better than the last

Be it through the people I talk to, the goals that I accomplish or simply becoming more self-aware and mindful of myself, a new yea is just a kick in the rear to put in those changes that I’ve been putting off for quite some time -- much like most ventures in my life.