TV Land Is Educational

TV Land Is Educational

Here are 16 times we could relate to TV Land regarding the first day of school.

12
TV Land Is Educational
The Observer

'Tis the season for new pens, clean desks and highly increased caffeine intake. Yep, we all know the unmistaken time of returning to school; doesn't it just make August seem bittersweet? You might be cramming in your last few weeks of freedom by soaking up the sun or spending time with family, or, if you're like me, vegging in front of the TV. I've been raised on TV Land and its eccentric, yet exquisite cornucopia of programs, and I've gained a little insight from its myriad of quality content. Having also been raised by a teacher and become an education major myself, I found myself relating to the characters on the silver screen.

Here are just a few of the tokens of wisdom that bring true light to what teachers go through on the first day of school.

1. Never will an alarm be more intimidating.

6:30 a.m. is brutal. Just don't take it out on your precious 6S, ok?

2. Your mind will be reeling at the thought of leading your own class.

Screaming internally and perpetually.

3. You're wanting your students to think you're already the coolest teacher ever.

You got dis!

7. Oh, who am I kidding? The kids are probably terrified.

(Just kidding, ha ha.)

8. Time to pull the goofball card. Everyone likes a fun teacher, right?

Time for this class to see what tricks you have up your sleeve!

9. Icebreakers are key for keeping the crowd engaged.

"All About Me" surveys are jamming the copier; try Classmate Bingo. Print your class roster on a bingo board and watch gears turn and friendships form.

10. The real patience is waiting for that coveted 25 minute lunch, because your granola bar died at 9:30 a.m.

Even if that fresh-faced new teacher is you, try your very, very best to keep your poker face. It is three hours into the school year; don't burn any bridges.

12. Mistakes are OK. You are human. You have just met these kids.

Let's never forget that self-deprecation is the worst death our confidence can face. Your students love you, you are doing everything just right and nobody has died. If you make a mistake, nobody is awake enough to remember. Keep going.

13. Chin up, buttercup; the first bell is ringing!

At the end of the day, your class is counting on you. All nerves aside, you are their leader, mentor and advocate. No matter how your summer or past school year went, today is a chance to start fresh. Take a sip of coffee and a deep breath, and greet your class at the door with bright eyes and an open heart.

14. It's OK; you've always got an amazing team of educators on your side.

Your colleagues, mentor and principals are only a four-digit extension away. You are all called a team for a reason. Teammates look out for one another; they replace the copier ink, keep snacks in the lounge (mostly inevitably), and have an endless supply of tissues at your disposal thanks to the district-issued supply list. Faculty = family.

15. Congratulations! You made it through the first day!

You did great! That wasn't so bad, right?