Tutoring Can Be Life Changing

Tutoring Can Be Life Changing

For both the tutor and student alike.

204
Tutoring Can Be Life Changing
southern.edu

Sophomore year: in this one year span, we are suddenly expected to realize what we’re doing for the rest of our lives, declare a major, get internships, work connections... Basically required to become a fully functioning adult.

So, as my entire peer class was exploring leadership and community service options, I figured I’d look into volunteer opportunities to get involved in. My Women and Gender Studies professor immediately recommended an internship within her department: a chance to tutor Latino children twice a week. Hesitant, I took the internship, wondering what this opportunity would mean for me... if I could be of any real help to these kids. Fast-forward 3 months-- I’ve been going to El Buen Pastor, a Latino Community Center in Winston Salem, and loving every second I’m there.

The thing about Wake Forest, as much as I love it, is that it tends to become a bubble of sorts. It’s easy to let the surroundings consume your view of the world... Focusing only on the work you have that week, your aspirations for the weekend, etc. What working at El Buen immediately taught me that first time I went was how small of a world I was really living in. The high-competitive atmosphere of Wake is incredible for fostering excellent academic work ethic, but what I oftentimes find is that I forget what exactly I am doing this work for. If I want to make a difference in the world, it doesn’t always need to involve large, high-scale goals. Sometimes it’s just venturing into your backyard and meeting the people who live life right beside you.

El Buen’s main focus is to help Latino immigrant families integrate into the American culture as smoothly as possible. They offer a multitude of English classes for adults, helpful job search advice, and provide an immediate community to get involved with. For kids, they offer after-school programs until 5pm, and that’s where I am involved. I tutor elementary aged students, usually around 3rd- 4th grade. The first day I started tutoring, I was paired with a young girl named Yatana and her cousin Emily. What I’ve noticed here is that most of El Buen encompasses entire families—extended as well as intermediate. Emily, Yatana and I immediately hit it off, and they proceeded to try to set me up with every male tutor in El Buen, much to my embarrassment. Since that first day, I have worked with them every single time I’ve tutored, and through that we have established a close relationship. I have met the rest of the cousins/ siblings of both Yatana and Emily, and suddenly the internship stopped feeling like an extracurricular responsibility, and started feeling like time with family.

What’s also incredible to see is how important education is. I have witnessed Yatana and Emily grow in both reading and math, even though there is obviously a struggle with their first language. It’s been an honor to be a part of their improvement, and inspiring to see their determination and hard work in even the most mundane of assignments. Watching their vigor and love of learning has motivated me to work even harder on my assignments back at school.

As I am finishing up the semester at El Buen, I am realizing I have learned as much, or even more than they have. I have gained a perspective that I wouldn’t have otherwise, and I have also gained amazing friendships. Not only are the kids exceptional, but the administration clearly goes above and beyond their job requirements. El Buen Pastor has an incredible facility that really improves the lives of everyone it touches- tutors, staff, and students alike. The entire experience has been inspiring, and I wouldn’t trade it for the world.