People Arguing Tua Vs. Jalen Have Lost Sight Of What Being A Quarterback For The Tide Really Means

The Alabama quarterback situation is getting intense.

37

In the past year, I have been fortunate enough to take steps to my dream career in sports media. As long as I can remember I have always been told that if I want to have a career in media that I need to be involved. There are thousands of people who want to be in this field and I have to find ways to set myself aside from other sports lovers. Whether it was in the school radio station to my most recent involvement with a sports magazine, I have loved every minute of it. I have realized what I want to do as a career but I also know there are some limitations.

One of the hardest things for me when writing sports articles is keeping my opinions to a minimum and not trying to involve my status as a fan. One of the biggest stories in Alabama football this offseason is the quarterback battle between Jalen Hurts and Tua Tagovailoa. Alabama has been known for quarterback battles in the past but this one seems to be discussed by every analyst everywhere. Tua came off the bench and helped lead Alabama to a national championship win after being down 13 points but it was Jalen Hurts who got Alabama to the national championship two years in a row. Both were highly rated quarterbacks in high school and are extremely talented which makes this competition more interesting.

When Hurts spoke to the media he expressed how frustrated he was about not being allowed to talk about the situation. Throughout the past few months analysts have been discussing why Tua should start and why Jalen should transfer but nobody has really focused on what Jalen has done as the starting quarterback. He also stated that he was upset with Saban's comments about his status for the opening games when Hurts had confirmed with Saban that he would be staying.

I'm not writing this piece to say whether I am a Jalen or Tua supporter but I am focusing on this because some people forget about what it means to be a quarterback for a team.

Nick Saban has made some strange decisions when it comes to who will start but think about what would be different if Saban chose his quarterbacks based on talent. People are basing Tua off of one half of football he played while analyzing what Jalen did in almost 30 games.

As a fan of Alabama and someone who follows the team, I can state that there hasn't been a quarterback battle like this since 2015 with Jake Coker and Cooper Bateman that went into the season. However, Hurts and Tagovailoa are both returning and one has been a starter for the past two years. Fans and other followers of Alabama football know that Nick Saban will choose whoever wins over the team. Whoever wins the quarterback competition has to win the team over and be a leader. Talent set aside it is leadership that people should look for in their quarterback.