It’s 2019, Which Means It's About Time To Try Something New
New Year

It doesn't matter if it feels like the wrong time. We can wait and wait for the right time to take the plunge and try something new, and that perfect moment may never come.

16

I spent a lot of my life wrestling with myself over what I wanted to do. The older we get, the harder it is to be the new kid, the person who doesn't know anything about anything, whether you're learning a new skill or starting a new hobby. It's especially hard to walk into something knowing for a fact that everyone around you will be miles and miles more advanced than you.

I say: do it anyway.

You can spend your entire life letting shame suck away at you, never doing what you want for fear of being judged, but that's such a sad way to live. We need passions to make life worth living, and, even if embarrassment might be scary, it shouldn't stop you from trying something you've always wanted to do.

Every beginner has to start somewhere. Some people just had the virtue to start earlier than others.

It doesn't matter if it feels like the wrong time. We can wait and wait for the right time to take the plunge and try something new, and that perfect moment may never come. If you have the time and energy and means, don't let yourself stand in your own way.

It's hard to admit that you're not good at something. But it's okay not to know something! It's okay not to be the best. You should let yourself be a beginner, let yourself learn. That's half the fun of being exposed to something new.

It's 2019. It's time to try something new, to check something off your list, to be something you always wanted to be. You can be terrified or feel like your pride is wounded by how much better others are. Do it anyway.