The Truth about Tomorrow

The Truth about Tomorrow

Tomorrow is a new day, a new chance to work towards becoming who you want to be.

115
The Truth about Tomorrow

"After all, tomorrow is another day." -Scarlett O'Hara, Gone with the Wind

Gone with the Wind is one of my favorite novels, and when I say that I mean that it is near the top of the list among Beautiful Creatures, Anna Karenina, and The Help. However, if books about the Antebellum South and Reconstruction aren't your cup of tea, don't worry this article isn't about that. I do highly recommend Mitchell's iconic book, but if it's not your genre, I understand.

While reading the book, each time I find myself annoyed with Scarlett, enamored with Rhett, and complacent about Ashley, and when I first read the book, this quote annoyed me. I wondered why did Scarlett wait? Why wasn't she throwing aside her pride to chase after him? It was only until I watched the marvelous end scene that the beauty and truthfulness of this quote hit me. Now, as I have gone through my second semester of college, it stays with me, is a part of me, and speaks to my soul. Despite loving inspirational quotes, I usually can't remember them for the life of me (aside from the "Sunshine and Rainbows" speech in Rocky Balboa, because anyone who knows me well enough knows that Rocky is my true love).

But, this one is different. It is like I was meant to carry it with me, dissect it, use it, and live it. I guess I didn't choose my favorite quote, but rather, it chose me.

The original literary context is powerful. As she stands there, life crumbled before her, Scarlett has a moment of hope, "After all, tomorrow is another day."

As my life has gone on, I've realized this statement is increasingly more truthful. No matter what the situation, even if a life seems to have fallen apart or how hard life hits, tomorrow really is another day. It's another opportunity to turn things around, a fresh start, or if nothing else, some distance from what has happened that day.

Each new day allows for a new beginning, and I find this comforting. If I didn't live up to my expectations for myself or get done things I needed to or should've, tomorrow gives an opportunity for new chances. You're able to have a changed perspective or new eyes if you are willing to see the concept of "tomorrow" that way. Will people always see your change or fresh start in the way you do? Most likely not. We get stuck in ruts and revert back to old ways all the time. I do all the time. Look at how we roll our eyes at people who say, "New year, new me."

What I'm not saying is that it is easy to make the effort to do your best each day. I know I don't; some days, I'm just so uninspired or down that I don't even want to consider the sunny side. Luckily, I'm usually fairly positive, but I do understand that some days I'm just not feeling it. But what I am saying is that it is possible. Each new day is a set of hours to do something or work towards becoming something.

If nothing else, it allows for distance from a painful memory or failed attempt. While I don't believe that time has the power to heal all wounds, I do believe time can help to heal most. Are all tomorrows going to be beautiful? No. I didn't look forward to the next day whenever I had to go to a family member's funeral or look forward to the end of some great adventure, but while we can't always control what will happen in our tomorrows, we can control who we are going to be.

Although I hate it and I'm sure some of you hate it too, being patient can sometimes be the best thing for us. Just in the context of Scarlett's situation (losing the man she truly loves due to her own stubbornness), we too may not be able to get what we want right away. So instead, all we can really do is to give our best effort, and if things don't seem to work out, there's a tomorrow where things could be a little brighter, a little better. If not, through struggles we can apply the strength or experiences we've gained to work towards creating a better tomorrow. The lines to the popular hymn, "Great is Thy Faithfulness" shares this sentiment, "Strength for today, and bright hope for tomorrow." What we gain today can be used to better prepare us to go on, and we can look the future in the eye.

I'm not saying to live your life like all you have is time or in constant waiting for a new day, but what I am saying is tomorrow could be the fresh start you need. Don't worry about what lies ahead so much (I need to take this advice too), but instead try be reborn each new day to possibilities and being the person you strive to be. Each new day is a gift to do your best and try again. You only get so many, so use your tomorrows wisely to make a difference, whether in your own life or someone else's. But remember, if things don't go the way you planned and you need to start again, "After all, tomorrow is a new day."