The Truth About Running Into High School Friends Over Summer

7

If you're anything like me (if you're wondering what that's like, just watch Legally Blonde, you'll get the idea), you'd prefer to live in world where you're constantly surrounded by your closest friends... on your own terms. While I love seeing each of my roommate's shining faces every day or walking into my Political Science class to sit down next to my best friend, running into someone unexpectedly makes my skin crawl.

That's what summer's full of, accidentally running into friends you haven't seen in a year, and being expected to have a full blown conversation with them. It sends me into a cold sweat. The kind that makes your eyeliner smear. How do I know what they're like now? Did they join Greek Life? Are they dating someone? HOW DID I BECOME SO OUT OF TOUCH WITH REALITY?? Oh, right, because I've spent the time since finals in a Netflix induced coma stalking sisters who have graduated on facebook. To avoid this entire, ulcer causing ordeal, this is usually my response when I see someone:

Them: (Silence)

My Usual Response: (Silence)

Followed By: (Silence)

And just like that I was never there.

Isn't this all really uneccessary?  I completely understand being polite, saying hello to someone in the pasta aisle, but do I really have to hash out the dirty details of my past nine months? 

"Yes, I'm loving school."

"My major is...."

"My sorority is fantastic."

"My grades are… okay."

"Yep, I made lots of friends." 

"No, I still don't have a boyfriend."

*goes home to sit with cats and cry*

Anyone who has had to give these same responses 1049872349587348750329 times over understands the need to hide whenever seeing an old acquaintance.