"Trumping" Civility

"Trumping" Civility

What does it mean to be civil? Don't ask Trump.
30

This Wednesday, reporters asked President Trump if he thinks the President of the United States should behave more civilly than he has been throughout the last 11 months.

He replied, "I think the press makes me more uncivil than I am. You know, people don't understand. I went to an Ivy League college, I was a nice student. I did very well. I'm a very intelligent person. You know, the fact is, I think, I really believe, I think the press creates a different image of Donald Trump than the real person."

Along with taking the time to compliment himself, once again, the President also demonstrated a lack of understanding of the word "civil" in the first place. Education and intelligence are not requirements of civility, so going to an Ivy League University has very little to do with his lack of ability to handle foreign and domestic issues with diplomacy.

To be civil is to be respectful and courteous towards others, even if/when you don't agree with them.

Being civil means NOT calling out every senator on Twitter whenever they don't support your legislation and assigning them ridiculous nicknames in an attempt to emasculate them. Civility is handling tough situations with grace and being able to admit when you're wrong and learning from your mistakes.

I think it's safe to say that President Trump has rarely been civil or acted presidentially, and the few times he has, meaning he just stuck to reading the teleprompter, he managed to shock the country so much that he was applauded for simply behaving the way he is supposed to.

Still, Trump claims the media is at fault for the way in which we perceive him. While there will always be bias in whatever form of journalism and reporting there is, playing clips of Trump speaking and discussing his actual tweets is in no way the media creating their own version of Trump.

He is in charge of creating his own image and he always has been. It is only now that he's leading a nation that he's being held accountable for what he says and the way in which he says it because now he is not solely speaking for himself.