Love Still Trumps Hate
Politics

Love Still Trumps Hate

It is important now, more than ever, to remember that love always trumps hate.

6
Love Still Trumps Hate
IB Times

While the disheartening misfortune that is the outcome of the 2016 election we must now more than ever remember to promote our best selves, despite America now being represented by quite possibly the worst we have to offer. Women are now run by a man that states, “we could say politically correct that look doesn’t matter, but the look obviously matters. Like you wouldn’t have your job if you weren’t beautiful.” Mexicans are now run by a man who calls Mexican immigrants “criminals” and “rapists.” Blacks are now run by a man that condoned a beating of a Black Lives Matter protester saying “it was absolutely disgusting what he was doing.” Muslims are now run by a man who plans to ban all Muslims from entering the country and deport undocumented immigrants. Americans are now run by a man who doesn’t believe in climate change, has no political qualifications, ruptures the surety of a variety of social communities, supports a VP aiming to instill gay conversion therapy, faces multiple sex allegations… must I even continue? We may not be able to amend the outcome, but we can still persevere because love will always trump hate.

So today, smile to strangers. Hold the door for someone behind you. Compliment your teacher. Offer a helping hand. Do a favor for a friend. Stay in touch with relatives far away. Tell your grandparents you love them. Set goals for yourself. Listen to others. Volunteer. Make new friends. Be sincere. Be genuine. Join clubs. Be philanthropic. Foster creativity. Give encouragement. Learn. Smile more frequently.

We are in a scary place where we need to come together. We're in this scary place not just because of all the misogynistic, homophobic, and racist perils that Trump has promised to inculcate. This scary place is also because of his supporters, not the entirety, that now deem it acceptable to graffiti swastikas, publicize that black lives don’t matter, and openly broadcast that they are a racist. This is the way in which people chose to practice their first amendment now. It is discouraging that American citizen minority groups—namely LGBTQ, Muslims, Hispanics, Mexicans, Blacks, and women—are scared for their own safety while residing in our country.

We may not be able to change Trump’s newly claimed presidency, but we must remember a few things. Despite Republicans making up the House and the Senate, most of these established, educated politicians frankly don’t support Trumpwhich means our checks and balances system will not fail us. While seemingly frightening now, we must take comfort in the competency of our democracy and our ability as a society to prevail as respectable Americans. Limit your fearfulness and put trust in our system and fellow citizens that we will rise above the utter buffoonery of President-elect Donald Trump (it truly pained me to call him by that title).