Trump: The End of Democracy
Politics

Trump: The End of Democracy

How Trump's latest comments signal a break from politics as usual.

15
Trump: The End of Democracy
Gage Skidmore

If there were one phrase that could coalesce all the attitudes about people that don’t look like him, it would be exactly what Trump said Thursday night” “some people shouldn’t vote.”

Who, exactly, is Trump talking about when he says “some people” shouldn’t vote? I’m pretty sure we all know.

Trump’s rude quips shouldn’t really shock us anymore. His comments over “bad hombres” and his running mate being a “nasty woman” unfortunately represent a sizable portion of the American public and lawmakers. We still live in a society where that family member is able to say the same things Trump does, and you’re expected to be “polite.”

While Trump’s comments about women and people of color are still representative of parts of the United States, we have the power to change the fact that it is a view still represented. But when Trump says that some people shouldn’t be allowed to vote, we have a much bigger problem on our hands. The same groups Trump has been attacking have fought (and continue to fight) for their right to vote for centuries.

As it stands, Trump’s rhetoric is hate-fueling, misinformed and just downright stupid, but we still have the power to keep him out of office. He represents the lawmakers that continue to maintain racist, sexist systems of power. If he gets elected, we won’t have the same opportunity to change this.

I feel like I’m living in the "Handmaid's Tale" already because of the sexist backlash the Trump campaign has enabled. #RepealThe19th started trending on Twitter when Trump supporters realized he would win if women didn’t vote. Seriously, is it me or are we in the Twilight Zone?

Trump’s campaign has revealed the ugly side of the United States that we wanted to pretend doesn’t exist anymore. This man, however, is more than just a bad dude that sounds a lot like your uncle on Thanksgiving; he is one step away from holding the most powerful office in the world and stripping people of their most fundamental rights.

Vote now, while you can.