Trump: News Or Entertainment?

Trump: News Or Entertainment?

You decide.

16
Trump: News Or Entertainment?

Recently over the summer, The Huffington Post stated that it would be reporting on Trump's campaign under the genre of entertainment rather than news. The medium still stands by the statement today even though Trump has beaten out a number of his competitors while dominating the polls in the conservative candidacy bracket.

So, here's the thing. The Huff Po won't consider Trump's candidacy newsworthy, but they will cover everything he says, eats and breathes as entertainment. This can't be right. Yet, let's try and play the devil's advocate here. The line between news and entertainment can be a very thin one, as we have seen in the past when it comes to politics (Tina Fey with her rendition of Sarah Palin and Bill Clinton with -- well, you know how that speech went). In today's media and entertainment run society, it can be hard to differentiate what is news and what is entertainment.

Even though I personally do not think Trump's thoughts on vaccines and birthright are entirely exhilarating (I hate him), I do think that he should be given the legitimacy he deserves and has earned in this campaign.

The fact of the matter is, Trump 2016 could potentially be a real thing. The Donald has a chance of being the President of the United States (please, no) just as all of his competitors do.

There is the argument that entertainment articles are much more read than news articles, being that they are more appealing to the general public and especially to youth. So what's the problem here? If anything, Trump is being read about way more than the other candidates and is further enhancing his popularity in the race. But there we go, that isthe problem. Because Trump is being reported under the entertainment umbrella, he is gaining more of a following. This would be ideal for any candidate in the race but because his popularity is increasing, he's more popular in the polls, decreasing his legitimacy and ignoring the other candidates, which all lead to a result that is simply not good. The question of the matter is, is Trump winning because of his strong beliefs and reform ideas to govern our country? Or is it purely just for entertainment? If it’s the latter, it is not going to be as entertaining when he is voted our President, all because we wanted to read about what crazy thing he did next.

I understand the dilemma here. Being a celebrity and having his own show amongst all of his ridiculous comments and actions, what about him isn't entertaining? Much of everything he has said so far has turned out to be outrageous, potentially offensive and very tough to be taken seriously. However, at the end of the day, Trump is a legitimate and strong contender in the race for presidency in our 2016 elections. Whether we like it or not, this is newsworthy.

This is where we come in. We as viewers and recipients of this information, we are the ones who need to judge one from the other. Through Twitter, Instagram, social media, or the hundreds and thousands of news websites giving us information every single day, we need to filter everything we see. Whether or not Trump's hair choice is seen as news or his debate as entertainment, at the end of the day, the man is being reported. All we can do is our best as technologically responsible people, and see past the smoke and mirrors in order to seek out what Trump and each of the candidates are really about.

This is the race to see who will be leading one of the world’s strongest and greatest nations. Let’s do our part to see the best woman or man win.