Finals Week vs. Pre-Finals Week: Why The Prep Is The Actual Worst Week In College

I know you may think I'm crazy for saying this, but hear me out.

33

One of the biggest myths in college is that the worst week of the semester is finals week. Finals week is a time of last minute crunching for those final exams that determine your final grade. It sounds horrible, but the actual worst week is the week prior to finals.

I know you may think I'm crazy for saying this, but hear me out. The week before finals is when literally every major assignment is due. You have to work yourself to the bone just to make it through the week, and get this, it's typically only a class or two that require you to work yourself to death but they'll literally take up all your time. So say goodbye to sleep during the week before finals, because it's not very likely you'll be getting any sleep whatsoever.

Furthermore, the week before final exams is awful because some of your professors won't grade your assignments all semester. Where many classes will post your grade online in a decent amount of time, other professors (typically the toughest ones you have) will refuse to post your grades and thus keep you from knowing how well you need to do on your final exams. It's horrible because not only are you working yourself to death and stressing over finals, you have no clue how well you need to do and it's the biggest mind game imaginable.

Finals week really isn't that bad. Its a week of tests and no classes. You get a nice little break and more time to complete all of the tasks at hand. Sure, the tests are awful, but it doesn't even get close to matching the terror that is pre-finals week.

For those of you in finals week or pre-finals week, I wish you the best of luck. Study hard, take care of yourself, and know that you did all that you could do. You've got this! I believe in you.