True Story: Uncovered Images

True Story: Uncovered Images

A photo shoot and narrative

35
True Story: Uncovered Images
Armauni Allen

Imagine finally getting the dream job that you’ve always wanted as a child. You’ve worked diligently through school; built your network, have an impressive portfolio and an appealing social media following.

During your first day on the job, your boss or higher authority tells you that you have to modify your physical appearance to maintain a specific image while representing that company. Or better yet, imagine them forcing you to alter your appearance to satisfy their vision without informing you. While you are still thinking about going through such an experience, I’m going to take this picture!

CLICK! The sound of the shutter from my 1968 Asahi Pentax echoes through the quiet Allen St. in Buffalo, New York as the clock strikes 5:46 pm. I purchased this camera a week prior, which stemmed from a random trip to the pawnshop to sell video games. I have never owned a real film camera before this one, aside from using disposable cameras as a kid to take pictures of random things around the house.

Before this shoot, I would often dream of shooting for Vogue advertisements or doing photo spreads for GQ. As early as I’ve been able to access a computer and feel the slippery texture of a film roll I have had an admiration with fine imagery. What interested me the most is how history could be captured in one single image, and serve as a member years to come. Each picture has a story.

The person in front of the camera on that bone-chilling cold spring day was a Buffalo-born business owner, blogger and model Tai Moore. Moore and I met a networking event that I D’s hosted by Vania & David, local Buffalo craftsmen. Since that event, we kept in contact in hopes of one day collaborating on a project. With her experience with modeling and my inexperience with photography, I figured it would make for a great first shoot. But what I would learn from Tai Moore on this March afternoon was far more than what I had signed up for.

The first thing you notice about Tai is her contagious smile, a smile so bright that it can make the sun jealous. Next is her luscious curly brown hair (but most often worn straight) and freckles that span across her entire face. Her golden brown skin resembles that of honey as she struts with runway posture and speaks with a shy but confident soft voice.

Strolling through Allentown wearing a bright lavender jumpsuit with high heels, naturally, she stood out. In fact, she turned a few heads from the onlookers and people passing by in cars (she probably didn’t notice but I did). With my 35mm film camera in my right hand, and her leather biker jacket in the other, I frantically browsed for places to shoot. I was very quiet the entire time leading up to the first picture.

So to not be awkward, (I’m the King of awkward) I asked about her career working In Buffalo. I couldn’t figure out the correct shutter speed for this lighting. Her reaction to my question was something unexpected. Moore would go on to tell me about the difficulties of finding modeling jobs in Buffalo due to a small market and the reality of alteration. I couldn’t get the aperture on the camera correct.

She would go on to tell me about how with her being an African American woman with strong trademark features, agencies would try to alter her look to satisfy their requirement. I couldn’t get the camera to focus. Then, Tai began to tell a story on how she was forced to cover her Freckles to shoot for a modeling agency. CLICK!

‘’What do you mean, they covered your freckles?’’ I exclaimed shocked by what she said and the fact that I hadn’t known the camera’s lever was cocked back. I listened in utter disbelief as Moore told me about her experience: ‘‘this was a situation where I didn’t speak up. It’s hard because as a model you know that you can be replaced very quickly.

So I didn’t say anything when I looked in the mirror and the makeup artist had covered my freckles. They (makeup artists) do exactly what they're told so I knew the client told them. I looked in the mirror and was so sad. Mortified actually. And I felt even worse because I didn’t speak up. I did the job and felt terrible after because it wasn’t me. But it’s hard as a model at times because you’re not hired necessarily to be authentic. But at the same time, you do want to be yourself and show your personality but it’s a hard balance.’’

Finishing the shoot, we took about twenty more images, and then called it a wrap for the day. This shoot for me served as an eye-opening experience that I’d never forget. I came to terms with the fact that we live in a world where people judge you based on your appearance that is certain. In the fashion world, looks are everything.

When modeling, you are not modeling for you necessarily, but you are representing a concept that represents a clothing brand. Tai Moore has been in one of the most challenging predicaments that is a reality of being a print/ runway model in this industry.

Having great appreciation for high fashion magazines, advertisements and campaigns, I had little knowledge of what goes on behind the doors of the makeup rooms. Learning about the realities of this industry has changed the way I view images and makes me question whether I’d like to be a part of something that isn’t what it seems. I now have a greater appreciation for natural beauty and capturing images the same way they look to the natural eye.

All photos courtesy of Armauni C. Allen