True Love Does Fail And That's Okay

True Love Does Fail And That's Okay

"True love never fails. So if it failed, it was never true love."

719
True Love Does Fail And That's Okay
Ginny Daniels

If I had a quarter for every time I saw, "True love never fails. So if it fails, it was never love," pop up on my timeline on any social media, I wouldn't even have any student loans at all. My friends that share it, I just assume have either never gotten the opportunity to love or they are still in a relationship with someone they love and don't want it to fail. Either way, they never had their heart broken. And by "broken" I, of course, mean they have never had their heart ripped out of their chest and repeatedly stomped on while also being burned at 1,000 degrees.

I really feel for the people that have never been lucky enough to experience a failed love. Although it is a kind of pain that I hope I never have to experience again, it's so good to experience it one time. I learned so much from my first love. I learned that my dreams should always come first. You shouldn't give someone so much of yourself because you'll be lost if they leave. You should always make time for your friends, even if you would rather spend more time with your significant other. Never change your life plans for someone. You know, just to name a few.

I can guarantee you that what I experienced was love. When they say, "You'll know when you know," they were not kidding. And I don't mean "know" as in "We've been together for four months and I really care about this dude." No, I mean: "This is the man I know I want to spend the rest of my life with because of the way he eats his Hot Pockets and the way he treats his little sister." I knew the moment he told me he was joining the Army so his little sister didn't have to worry for her safety. I still know because it's been a year since our break up and, although I have no intentions of ever getting back together with him, I still love him.

Just because you love someone at one point in time, does not mean you will want to be with them for the rest of your life, forever and ever. People change. That's the sad reality of life. Sometimes the one guy you thought was going to be your rock forever turns into a closed off individual that doesn't really care what you have going on in your life. People change, but memories don't. So just because you love someone now, does not mean you will love the person they are in 20 years. It just means that in 20 years, you will love the person he was when you were together.

I don't really know why people continuously post this quote on social media. I just know I would agree with them, but then we would both be wrong. True love does fail, but that's OK because people change. Sometimes the person you love doesn't exist anymore. The moment that happens, you learn so much more than you ever thought was possible. I hope everyone has the opportunity to experience a failed love in their lifetime.