True Life: I'm a Homebody

True Life: I'm a Homebody

But don't get me wrong, I could never live at home forever.

73
True Life: I'm a Homebody

According to Urban Dictionary, the definition of a a so-called homebody is pretty straightforward: a person who enjoys the warmth and simple pleasures of being home.

I know, I know. How can you grow up and experience all that life has to offer if you’re home 24/7?

That’s not necessarily what being a “homebody” is. It’s not someone who has to be home all hours of the day, seven days a week. As the definition says, it’s someone who just simplyenjoys the thoughts and feelings of being home.

Ever since I was younger, I’ve been a homebody, even though I didn’t realize it. I hated staying overnight anywhere and even on vacations I was ready to come home after a week or so (luckily I grew out of those phases).

Now for those who are reading this and know that I go to college out-of-state, you’re probably thinking, “well, if she calls herself a homebody, why did she go to school 3 hours away from home?”

Well, that’s exactly where I feel like I need to explain myself. There seems to be a quiet but negative stigma about being a homebody and to be honest, I think it can be easily misunderstood.

Like any other college I’m sure, there’s people who go home every weekend and there’s people who stay at school for months at a time. Some people live minutes away, some hours, and some even where they’re only option to get home is to fly.

My first year at school, I was lucky enough to have a break or long weekend every 3 weeks it seemed and was able to go home for a few days of rest and relaxation. It really did feel like I was home a lot but to be completely honest, I think I needed that to help me adjust from living away from home.

Now in my second year at school, I can still admit that I look forward to the breaks where I can go back to a place that I know is truly home.

For me, being away at school is just the amount of separation that I needed in order to grow as a person. I feel like I have closer relationships with my family and friends, and I’ve come to appreciate the small things in life, such as the small pleasures that make being home so enjoyable.

Do I like being away at school? Absolutely. This year so far I already love where I’m living, going out and hanging out with the people I’ve met and just being able to have a certain level of independence.

Do I wish that my school was a little closer to home? Maybe I do. Not only would it be more convenient for my parents (what parent wouldn’t like a shorter drive?), but it’s also comforting to know that you can make it home if you were ever to need anything.

Do I wish I stayed home for college? No, I really don’t. Sure I may say that I’m a homebody, but I needed to push myself to be able to go out-of-state and be on my own. Not only have I felt more independent and responsible, I’ve become more confident and adventurous. I love Merrimack, its people, and its community; it has become my second home this past year and a half.

This past year especially I’ve come to realize that I’m most likely not the type of person to go out and travel the world or be able to leave home for months at a time. I like being in Massachusetts and I like being home. I like decorating my dorm to make it my home away from home, but I also like going home home for family, and those much missed home-cooked meals.

Don’t get me wrong, I could never live at home forever. I’m not afraid to admit that there are times where I miss waking up in my own bed to my dad cooking Sunday breakfast or hearing the dog bark at neighbors walking by or knowing literally where every store, restaurant, or anything that I need is. But I also like living in a new place. I like exploring the area, taking day trips and just learning about what it’s like to live in a place that is different than my the place that I’ve called home for the past nineteen years.

There’s nothing wrong with being a homebody. In fact, it’s nice knowing that I’ll always have a supporting place to come home to. As Jane Austen said,

“Ah! There is nothing like staying at home for real comfort.”