True Heroism: How A Mother's Love Surpasses All Things

For years I've looked to movies and comic books to witness heroes. After a while I realized all I had to do was look to the woman who raised me.

91
Miguel Mockabee

When you hear or see the word hero, your mind more often than not goes to characters that are the stuff of legends. Hero's such as the Incredible Hulk, Iron Man, and Batman flood the imagination; other times you think of firefighters, police officers, or doctors. These people have one thing in common: they sacrifice unconditionally for the good of others. But when I hear the word hero, my mind only goes to one place: my mom.

As a kid, my home wasn't the most ideal. My mom and dad had gotten divorced, and my dad left for California with his new family. I didn't realize for a while that the divorce had left a hole in my heart that still causes ripples today. At the same time, I didn't realize that there was one primary person that held me up and sacrificed unconditionally for me and my sisters. This amazing woman that I call my mother raised us all and brought in bread for the house with little to no help at all.

My mom was born in Mexico in the year 1969, and came to the U.S in the nineties pregnant and carrying two daughters in her arms. My dad wasn't around much, as he traveled for work and stayed on the ocean a lot. Being raised in Mexico, my mom had a skin tougher than most. She never let anyone tell her what to do, and had a rather foul mouth when it came to disrespectful men on the street.

When my mom and dad divorced in 2007, he left my mom in a foreign country, no connections, and with four kids. Things seemed hopeless for her family, and she definitely wasn't left unscathed by the divorce. My mom had two choices: pull up her bootstraps and raise her four kids by herself, or stay in her room and let her kids fend for themselves. Thankfully, she chose the former, got to work, and began bringing money into the house.

Because of this, she is the strongest woman I know. Instead of falling apart and quitting, she stood up taller than before and supported her four kids with all of her might, sacrificing everything she had for them. She enrolled us in baseball/softball, Boy Scouts, band, and other organizations. She took on the role of both father and mother, attending all of our sports games and showing up at most boy scout meetings. She protected us from the reality of the situation, and loved us unconditionally.

I admire my mom in every way, from her mannerisms to her cooking abilities. She is the type of parent that I want to become when I have my own children.

If there is one person I attribute to my success and achievements, it is my mom. I love her so much, and I will always thank her for what she's done for her family. She is a hero in my life, and anyone who meets her would agree.