Troubleshooting your Broken Playstation Three

Why is it beeping so much

18
Maxwell Silver

Over a long enough timespan, nearly every device will reach a point of non-functionality. This could be a physical problem, a software problem, or a hardware problem, all stemming from various events. No matter what the cause is, the result is the same; your device no longer functions. Recently I had an experience of device failure when my Play Station 3 decided to end its life through a series of freezes and crashes. I'm not sure what caused the issue, but nevertheless, I had a dysfunctional PS3 on my hands, so this is what I did in my attempt fix it.

Restore File System

To do this, you first have to enter your Playstation's recovery menu. To do this, follow theses steps:

1. Turn off your Playstation, wait until only the red light is on.
2. Hold down the power button and continue holding it until the Playstation beeps and turns off.
3. Turn on the Playstation and hold down the power button, you will hear four beeps, two distant and then two rapidly, release the power button.

This should put the Playstation into recovery mode, your console will prompt you to plug in a controller and press, "Ok." Now that you're in, select the Restore File System option near the top. This will check your Playstation for corrupt/missing system files and attempts to fix and restore them. This option is the safest, as it won't delete any of the data on your Playstation.

If restore file system doesn't work, the next option is...

Rebuild Database

Now, before selecting Rebuild Database I would recommend trying to update your Playstation's firmware first. Download the latest update from Playstation's website and put the file onto a USB. Insert the USB into your PS3 and select the System Update option in the recovery menu. It should detect the file and instal it onto the Playstation from the USB. If this doesn't work either, then select the Rebuild Database option, which will rebuild the OS on your Playstation 3. This won't delete any of your game files or saves, but can possibly delete any music you have on your PS3's hard drive.

Now, if none of these options has fixed your problem at this point, you will have to consider...

Restore PS3 System

This option is to be thought of as a last resort, since this will restore your PS3 to factory default, essentially wiping your system. Even though it's a bit severe, this will fix nearly any problem with your Playstation, unless the problem is with the hardware. To do this, go into recovery mode once again and select Restore PS3 System , and select yes. This may take a little while, but once it's done, you will have a fresh Playstation.

My problem was so bad, I had to restore my PS3 system after trying all the options. It can be hard to let go of all your files, but the alternative is reducing your device to an expensive paperweight. If your PS3 still isn't working after all this, you're going to have to contact Playstation to figure it out. If any of the solutions helped you, I'm glad to have offered advice that solved your problem, just try to be more careful next time.