Being A Triplet

Being A Triplet

What it's like to have two other "yous" the world.

1423
Being A Triplet
College Humor

“Who is the oldest?”

“Wait, are they girls or boys?”

“Can you read each other’s minds?”

These are all questions that I have gotten over the years when someone finds out I am a triplet. And yes, you read that right. I am a triplet with two brothers born just a few minutes after I was (which makes me the oldest, but it’s not like I’m counting). Some are rather silly, but some are valid questions. I’m sure my brothers have gotten the same ones and probably some even better ones, since they are identical. A lot of people ask what it feels like to be a triplet and they want to know how it all works. The best way I can describe it is having two really awesome friends who just happen to look a lot like you.

There are several perks of being a multiple. One of those is we get to share a birthday. Now, most people probably wouldn’t like this. They’d want to have a day all to themselves without anyone else sharing in the spotlight. I personally always loved having them by my side to open our presents, eat cake, and just enjoy our day. Seeing them be happy and get excited was enough to make the sharing worth it. Another plus side is that I always had someone in the same grade as me. First days of school are scary, but I can remember waiting on my brothers so we could all walk in together. Since we were in the same grade, we could always sit together in the gym or cafeteria, which always made me feel safe and at ease. I could share in the moments like having the same graduation date, having to take the same tests in elementary school, and even having several classes with them. Somehow, that always made me feel a little less alone.

By far, the greatest part of being a triplet is having two people to love and cherish. It’s a hard thing to explain, but I do believe there’s a connection between us that maybe other siblings don’t have. I wouldn’t call it telepathy because – as far as I know – we’ve never read each other’s minds. But I do feel like we are bonded by something very powerful and very beautiful. Growing up, my brothers were my best friends. And still to this day, I have a love for them that they’ll never know. Many of my memories involve us playing school, drawing chalk houses on the driveway, or sleeping on mattresses in the living room. I will always cherish those moments and I hope that my brothers will too.

Being a triplet may not be anything fancy or spectacular, but I think the bond between brothers and sisters is always special. And as I watch my brothers grow into men, I hope they know I love them. After all, that’s the biggest perk of being a triplet.