A Tribute To My Dad, Chuck Sullivan, The Drummer

"Being a professional musician is a job, a religion and shapes your social life. It is everything."

216

As I've gotten older I've become extremely fascinated with learning about the work that goes into creating art, the "behind the scenes," if you will. Art in this world is one of the best creations; art brings out our emotions.

I like looking up movies and learning about the work that went into creating them - how they filmed certain scenes, what the actors thought of their work, how well they did at the box office, etc. I've thought to myself, it must be cool to have a celebrity as a parent because you get to ask them questions about how they got to where they are today.

I now realize that I have that kind of person as my father.

My father, Chuck Sullivan, has been a musician playing drums for practically his whole life. Born and raised in Bethesda and inspired by The Beatles and Motown, Chuck first experimented with several soul bands in the sixties. He would tap along to TV shows like "Batman" and "Hawaii Five O" before turning to playing in various rock cover bands and opening for national acts.

After graduating from the University of Maryland he went professional and formed several original bands, including progressive country Off Balance and pop/jazz Big Yankee Dollar. During the eighties he brought back his soul roots by playing in Soul Crackers, a band that still performs today, and started another original rockin' pop band, The Newkeys. In the nineties he formed an edgy R&B band The Lazy Boys and later Groovy, a band that took songs from the sixties and merged them with Latin, African, and South American rhythms. His last original band was Paper Umbrella, a 2000s group that strung together clever pop songs.

The Soul Crackers at the White House with President Clinton in 1994

In addition to playing the best local venues on the East Coast, some notable gigs include performing with Chuck Berry at The White House for Bill Clinton’s college reunion and touring with Nils Lofgren when he performed with both Bruce Springsteen and Joe Walsh. In 2005 he co-formed a highly renown production company BandHouse Gigs and has been putting on musical tributes for 10 years at Strathmore, Wolf Trap and The Fillmore, helping to put a spotlight on the incredible musical talent in the DC Area.

In an interview with my dad, he says he enjoys "writing songs, rehearsing, and performing live" because after playing, "the audience appreciates it because they never heard it before." Music is about forming a connection with those around you and those you play for. He elaborates that he "came to love the whole art of collaboration which helped me (him) grow as a musician and as a songwriter."

Jr. Cline and the Recliners in 1981

Dad developed a fondness for the drums because of his ability to "act as the musical director; providing cues and establishing dynamics, setting tempos, and ending the song correctly."

One neat thing my dad is very fortunate to have done, is played the different styles and genres of music through the previous five decades. "I like funk music because it’s just fun," says Chuck. "I like R&B and soul music because people dance...pop music because it’s clever...the only music I find boring is country because the drums are not featured and typically I must play the same part, regardless of the song." Overall, Chuck prefers "to play any music where (he) can play to the song using (his) style."

When asked to comment on his songwriting, Chuck says he used to write because he "thought (his) ideas were original" but now writes "for therapeutic reasons, to get something off (his) chest."

Chuck's written about "every type of relationship" he's been in. These kinds of songs are especially fun for me to dissect and analyze because I get a glimpse of how my dad views topics such as love, breakups, missing people, etc. Funny sons are apparently the "hardest type to write" for Dad. I can imagine, it's hard to make anything comedic. You have to give credit to Weird Al Yankovic.

Other times, Chuck simply feels the need to write about a "social comment." These kinds of songs are neat too because they tend to illustrate a more philosophical approach to art. "I just love the art and the process of songwriting," Chuck explains. "I have a notebook of lyrics that I constantly rewrite."

My dad admits that his voice is not the best so he's had to adjust and "learn the art of writing songs for other people to sing...you've got to know the strengths or their voice, their range, their power, and write a song that suits their style."

Chuck Sullivan in a studio in 1981

I was interested in what it feels like when a band breaks up and if it feels similar to anything else. Chuck claims "it depends on if the band was on the rise or already dead." He then compares the experience of being in a good band to "a marriage or religion or a cult...in for better or for worse." If a good band breaks up, "it feels tragic...life just lost its sense of purpose" and he is "no longer special."

Sounds like a heartbreaking process to endure. But if the band is "going through a period of frustration and disappointing gigs, then it's a relief, like a heavy burden has been lifted....it's a big deal either way." In Chuck's eyes a band breakup is "like changing jobs...you've got to find a new path...or move on to the next thing."

I also asked my dad if he has any feelings of regret playing in his bands. "They all helped me improve because of my attitude and approach," he says. "I will say that there are songs I now think are seriously flawed and probably should never have been written." Don't worry Dad, nobody's perfect.

What about the pay? Isn't it fun to get paid?

"Some bands make more money but they are often the ones that are the most boring...one way or another you get compensated for your efforts and meet new people who are into music."

The next chapter in my dad's music life involves "continuing producing large tributes," something he loves doing but also says is hard work. He also hopes to write soundtracks for film. Knowing my dad, who's always up for a new musical challenge, he'll persevere and thrive in whatever he sets his mind to. I'd be interested in listening to a soundtrack he creates; that's definitely something new for the Sullivan family.

Chuck is also in the process of writing a biography about Traffic's Steve Winwood, mixing a retrospective CD of The Newkeys, and recording a new CD of his current soul band, The Soul Crackers.

"I like to write songs about important events. And I hope to continue performing live as much as my life will allow. Music is one thing I can count on when everything else in my life might be in ruins. It is always there, waiting for me to join in."

The Newkeys, my personal favorite band my dad has been in, has such a crisp 80s sound complemented with, often times, cynically poetic lyrics and impressive and emotional instrumentation. Yes, emotional instrument sounds. I have a soft spot for a hotshot guitar solo - that just melts me. Whether it's the upbeat, feel-good love song "Not Just Alright," written for and about my mother, or the toned-down mysterious "I Will See You Again," my Dad wrote some pretty gnarly 80s songs that are far more original and interesting than most contemporary music I hear.

The Newkeys at Club Saba in Washington D.C. circa 1986

If you have a second, go to YouTube and look up the song "Acts of Love" by The Newkeys for a real gem of a song written by Ronnie Newmyer, the bass player.

It should be no secret that I'm a pop/rock guy and Paper Umbrella is another band my dad has been in that attracts with me. This band recorded plenty of metaphorical, deep, rich, interpretive, and emotional songs (aka terrific songwriting strategies). The sound of the band is a little difficult to describe; songs often have bizarre but unique tones, slower tempos, artsy fills and surprises, and beautiful harmonies.

I'm incredibly thankful to have a dad who's a musician. As I've gotten older, my stance on his playing has changed a lot. As a little kid, I didn't think much of my dad's playing. In my teens, I started listening to his music more but still wasn't too enthralled. Now, as a full-fledged 20-year old adult, I am finally appreciating the art my father has created. It's incredibly admirable work.

Get to know those around you. Ask questions, inquire artistic choice, and engage in a little art-making yourself. Fame certainly is not everything. You don't need to research celebrities to learn about art; sometimes the artist is closer than you think.

My Dad and me at one of my football games in 2011