3 Ways To Make Using The Treadmill Less Boring

Why not try to make cardio enjoyable?

78
Engadget

A word that a lot of people seem to dread is 'cardio'. As someone who loves doing cardio, I often wonder: why do people hate it so much? And then it came to me... cardio can be extremely boring. Simply walking for twenty minutes on a treadmill is going to go by so slowly for some people, and they need variety. Contrary to popular belief, there are plenty of ways that someone can utilize a treadmill! There is so much more someone can do other than running or walking. These exercise and workout routines would not only be a great alternative to 'boring' cardio, but it will make the time go much faster.

1. Set a pace-goal for yourself

Sometimes, it can be really important to push yourself when you are on the treadmill. While walking is great, it is not going to give you the same effect as it would if you were jogging or running. One form of treadmill cardio that you can do it trying to set a one-mile pace goal for yourself. For example, if you usually run a mile in about 10 minutes, try aiming for a time between nine and 10. When doing this, you should start off with a light, warm-up jog. As you see the time start to pass, you should gradually increase your speed until you hit a faster pace than you would usually run at. Not only will you be pushing yourself to the limits, but it will keep you occupied and determined to reach the pace goal that you desire.

2. High-intensity interval training (HIIT)

Instead of simply running or walking, HIIT on the treadmill is a mix of every function you could imagine. HIIT includes a lot of incline, walking, jogging, and even a few sprints. There are plenty of different websites and apps you can access to look through different types of HIIT. I've done a few HIIT on the treadmill myself, and I promise, you will be drenched it sweat afterards. Not only are you burning an abundance of calories, but you are working out your body really hard. Trust me, you might be sore the next morning. Because you are switching from exercise to exercise when doing HIIT, it becomes very enjoyable and it makes the time go fast.

3. Lunges, side-shuffles, and more!

These are some workouts that you would not typically expect to be done on a treadmill. While you may not be walking or running with these workouts, they are extremely efficient when done on a treadmill. Walking lunges and side-shuffles when setting a slow pace on the treadmill is really good on your quads, and it will keep you moving! Other workouts you can do are squats, high-knees, butt-kicks, and even push-ups! Hopefully, these treadmill workouts will occupy your time when trying to get your cardio workout out of the way.