How To Repair Sibling Relationships

The Trip With My Brother That Brought Us Closer Than Ever

After traveling in Sweden for a month, I reflect on my brother and I's relationship

108
Ashyln O'Boyle

For years, my brother, Don, and I's relationship was like a rollercoaster. Some days we would get along perfectly fine, maybe getting breakfast together or play video games together. Other days we would need some time to ourselves. But, over the years our relationship kept getting stronger, but what really changed it, was when the two of us went to Sweden for an entire month.

We had signed up to take a language course in Uppsala, Sweden where every summer they hosted the Uppsala International Summer Session. For three weeks, Don and I were learning the Swedish language and culture amongst many other people, all with different stories as to why they would want to learn Swedish. Some were learning it because of their family and some were learning it because one day they hope to live there. But this article isn't really about the course but rather how the course affected our relationship. We ended up spending time together 24/7 whether it be doing homework together, getting a meal, spending time with our mutual friends, going on weekend field trips, or anything else once class was over.

Don and I at the Royal PalaceAshlyn O'Boyle

Sibling relationships can be hard so that's why it's important to make time to hang out where it's just you and your brother or sister.

Yet, while in Sweden with no parents or other people we knew from America, we had to rely on each other if one of us got sick or needed something from the store while one of us was out. I had gotten a cold halfway through the session and I heard a knock on my door where my brother was standing, hands full of tissues, orange juice, and dinner from a takeaway restaurant. The environment around you changes because suddenly the person you grew up with is your best friend in a place you're not used to.

He helped me with the language when I was struggling, he helped me figure out public transportation because I am not at all used to using subways or buses, and so much more. Don's Swedish girlfriend would also join us on our expeditions and even my relationship with her has changed as well. We all had gotten closer and created this new connection; sure, maybe it was the fact we were in a mature situation, but regardless, the relationships changed to something so much more.

Now, after a week or two of being home, it's still the same as it was in Sweden. I even had talked to my brother and asked him, "Do you think this is the closest we've ever been?" And he had smiled, and said, "Yes, yes it has." The point of this article is that relationships, especially that of family, take time and appreciation. Not doing something tomorrow morning? Ask your brother or sister if they want to have breakfast or hang out for a little bit. Getting a sibling bond like the one Don and I have doesn't have to involve flying over to Sweden for a month. It's the time and attention that we gave each other that truly makes it work.

Ashlyn O'Boyle