30 Songs Every Former Emo Kid Knows By Heart

To the songs we used to jam out to: "Thanks For The Memories." Even when we were "Face Down", and our "Bodies" hit the floor, and we were "Broken", we joined "The Black Parade", and walked the "Boulevard of Broken Dreams" together.

89

Here are just 30 of every former emo kid's favorite songs:

Welcome to the Black Parade by My Chemical Romance

You know from the first note of the song that you're going to be reliving your angsty teenage days. Even though, if you're an MCR fan, teenagers scare you.

Boulevard of Broken Dreams by Green Day

Emo kids prided themselves on being the loner, and this song was the anthem of every kid walking alone with his earphones in.

Taking Back Sunday by All Time Low

Every love-struck emo would play this when they started to feel the first tingles of love. Not going to lie, I still listen to this song when I'm feeling particularly sappy.

I Write Sins Not Tragedies by Panic! at the Disco

I'm sure every emo kid know the words to this song better than they know their own phone number. This one is a classic emo anthem that never fails to get us pumped. But let's all face this fact with a sense of poise and rationality.

Vindicated by Dashboard Confessional

In all reality, this is the only Dashboard Confessional song I know. Nevertheless, I will always belt it out whenever it comes on. Middle school me thought this was the song of the century.

Miserable at Best by Mayday Parade

"Miserable at Best," was actually a song that my little emo crush dedicated to me. I thought it was sweet at the time, but looking back on it now, it's just creepy.

The Kill by 30 Seconds to Mars

This song was a BOP, but unfortunately, I grew out of it. I stopped enjoying 30 Seconds to Mars when I realized that Jared Leto was going play The Joker in Suicide Squad. That horrible acting just kind of soured his music for me.

Woah Oh (Me vs. Everyone) by Forever the Sickest Kids

c2.staticflickr.com

Oh, you don't know this song? Yes, you do. Every emo kid does. No one knows when we first heard it, but everyone knows it once the chorus hits.

Broken by Seether ft. Amy Lee

"Broken" took the best vocal capabilities of two of the best emo singers of the time and blended them into a slow, beautiful, emo song. I true emo masterpiece.

Bring Me to Life by Evanescence

This song was not always the meme material you see today. This song used to represent us emos back in the day. We actually genuinely thought that it was a powerful, beautiful power-ballad. Now, we realize just how wrong we were.

Face Down by The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus 

orig00.deviantart.net

Truth be told, I still love this song to this day. I think the message is great, the lyrics are great, the music is great, overall, it's still a really solid piece of work!

The Drug in Me is You by Falling in Reverse

Every emo kid ever knows every single word to this song. I cannot remember why little 12-year-old me related so hard to this song, but it is still a BOP.

Dirty Little Secret by All American Rejects

What did 12-year-old me think was so relatable about this song? As an adult, I am amazed at how I completely missed the original meaning. Regardless, I remember dancing around in my (emo) friend's room to this song.

Shake It by Metro Station

upload.wikimedia.org

If you didn't sling your hair wildly to this song, what were you even doing? Bonus points if you had jet black, layered, teased hair.

I'm Made of Wax Larry, What are You Made of? by A Day To Remember

This was always my go-to song for days where I was feeling super angsty. I would turn this on my iPod touch, put it in the pocket of my panda purse, and paint on my thick, black eyeliner. This song made me feel like I was 10 feet tall.

Misery Business by Paramore

I'm fairly sure that this was every emo girls revenge song. If you were in a bad mood and you put this song on, everyone knew that you were on a war path.

Sugar, We're Going Down by Fall Out Boy

This song was the slightly sexual song that you were afraid to play in front of your parents. I remember being huddled in the corner of the cafeteria with my closest emo friends while we listened to this song. Ahhhh, such good memories.

My emo days are far from over. I still listen to this music, I still like the style, and I'm pretty much the same as I was back then. I guess you could say, "High School Never Ends." While "emos" are not a subculture now, we still exist in the shadows, still salty about MCR's breakup.