Time, Technology, And Life May Improve, But We Are Always Left Wanting More

Why the human heart will never be content, no matter what things we buy or the vacations we book.

67
https://www.barbaramarcella.com/
Barbara Marcella Photography

We are living in the 21st century. A time where anything is available at the tip of your fingers. Food delivery, a new outfit for that party you have this weekend, movies, music, a ride to a restaurant only a few blocks away, a new relationship... you name it it's there.

It's an incredible period for information and research since pretty much anything you desire is just a Google search away. And yet though we virtually have it all, we're completely missing it. I recently traveled to Ireland with my sister and cousin. It was an amazing few days filled with exploring, great food, and fun times.

And then I got home and just like everyone else I caught up on blogs, Instagram, etc.. scrolling to see what's new. I wish I could tell you that scrolling through it all simply just inspired me (most times it does). But instead, it left me wanting more. I was now mentally planning my next trip, where to go, what to see... the places are endless! Meanwhile, I literally just got back from a trip.

Don't get me wrong there is nothing wrong with wanting to see this beautiful world, explore the cultures, people, foods. I too desire to see so much in my life and absolutely love visiting new places. But what I'm noticing is that the human condition dating back to the beginning of time, of wanting more is a vicious cycle that never ends.

When Eve was in the garden of Eden and the serpent (aka the devil) tempted her to eat the fruit, he told her it would open up her eyes and she would be like God knowing all things. She saw it looked good, wanted more than all God had already given her and so she took it. When King David was in reign, he saw Bathsheba (Uriah's wife, one of his Soldiers) and wanted her for himself. After he did take her, David had Uriah killed.

Centuries have passed, and yet the cycle never really changed. The human heart always wants more and more. We go on vacation, and then we want to go to another one soon after. We buy the perfect dress, and then we need another one because obviously, that one was already worn.

I'm now coming to understand that we'll always want more. And then after we get it, we want something else. But the truth is, we'll never be content with the things we can buy, or how many vacations we can go on. We'll just want more after the last one. Because nothing on earth can ever quench us or be enough. Only God through Jesus can ever fill that gap. Solomon (David's son) was the wisest and richest man to ever live and had everything and anything a man could ever want. And even he stated that all things under the sun are vanity, pointless like chasing after the wind. - Ecclesiastes 1:14-15

And so my hope is that in following the desires and dreams that were placed on our hearts... we don't let it define our joy. You were made to enjoy the beauty and wonderful things that God gave us in this life. And so go! Do those things that open up your heart and mind.

"And also that every man should eat and drink, and enjoy the good of all his labor, it is the gift of God." -Ecclesiastes 3:13 But always remember God is the only thing that will truly bring us a lasting joy that will never end. "Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away." -Matthew 24:35