Traveling Alone In Your 20s

Traveling Alone In Your 20s

Go find your adventure.

7
Christine Zopf

Most people share the sentiment that they would never have the courage to travel alone. While it's great to go out and see the world with those we love most, it's equally important to go out on our own and explore while growing and getting to know ourselves. Immersing yourself in a culture with complete strangers allows you to open your mind, be vulnerable, be kind, and grow as an individual.

When I first decided to travel alone I wasn't really afraid, or nervous. Instead, I was excited at the idea of going out and meeting new people who I would share amazing experiences with. I felt okay because I knew the majority of the people I'd be with were also traveling alone. In a way, it forced me to step out of my comfort zone and be social because unless someone said hello, it would be a pretty lonely and awkward trip. And let's face it, no one wants that when they're 2,000+ miles away from home.

Traveling alone also forced me to grow up in some ways. Never before did I have to print my own boarding pass, pay a monthly bill, or budget money for daily expenses. While I've budgeted long-term, short term budgeting is much more difficult, especially when you only have so much foreign currency. I also had to learn how to work my way through an airport, through foreign cities, and back to the hostel after a night at the pub. Needless to say, I gained a newfound sense of independence on this trip, even if I did have my new travel friends by my side the entire time in Ireland.

I would recommend traveling alone to anyone in their twenties because while you may love your family, your friends, and your significant other, there are so many wonderful people in the world and so many things to see. When you travel alone, you make the decisions. There's no pressure. And you have no past. Everyone you meet on your journey comes from their own walk of life, but somehow and someway, all your paths converged at that time, giving you a strong connection to strangers that will be unbreakable.