Travel While You're Young

Travel While You're Young

I promise, now is the time.
591

The reality is, most of us are all broke college students. We live paycheck to paycheck with very little money to spare. Not to mention any extra money, immediately gets spent. It's not that we're irresponsible, it has more to do with the fact that before college, most of us relied on our parents to pay for our food and rent was not even on the radar. As we grow older, we become increasingly consumed by responsibilities that are not as easy to dismiss.

We have to go to school, we have to work, we have plans consuming nearly every second of our day.

If you're anything like me, free time is totally off the radar. What is left over from my obligations is usually spent sleeping or eating. I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with that. In fact, I would be terribly hypocritical if I was. Aside from all of the things that we have to do, it is crucial that we take a least a little time for ourselves.

And being burnt out by overworking myself before age thirty really just does not sound appealing.

Traveling encourages us to save our money and not waste it on alcohol, food, etc. Of course, it is nice to spend some money on that here and there, but in order to travel, you at least need some money. The thrill of traveling to a new place never seems to get old as each new place holds a million new adventures. Even as you revisit places you have been in the past, there is always something new that can catch your eye as your interests are constantly changing.

I encourage you to drag your friends along on your adventure around the world. It always amazes me how many people you lose contact with as you grow older. As each of your friends develop their own lives, their own families, seeing each other drops down on the priority list. Take advantage of the time you have with these people and where you are in life right now.

The people I'm close with now, I will be the ones standing next to me at the altar.

And you can't leave them without a fair share of embarrassing stories to throw into their speech.

I know that I just recently became old enough to rent a hotel room on my own, and while the idea of traveling without my parents was terrifying, I wouldn't change a single thing. We're getting older and becoming more independent every day. We're learning how to cook, clean, and function as adults all on our own.

We have to make our own experiences. Take advantage of this time and appreciate the people you have surrounding you. This is it, don't let the time pass.

"And then there is the most dangerous risk of all - the risk of spending your life not doing what you want on the bet you can buy yourself the freedom to do it later." -Randy Komisar