Travel The World, Do It Cheap, Do It Now

An interview with travel blogger Will Kyaw about why you should travel as much as you can before you turn 30.

18
Will Kyaw

Traveling, to many, seems like this surreal idea that many will never be able to achieve. Being one of those people, I get extremely excited to see photos and videos of friends and colleagues that are able to achieve this: the opportunities to visit locations I can only dream of or see in documentaries.

For individuals under the age of 25, money and age seem to be the two biggest difficulties to get past when planning to travel. Sure, you can study abroad with your college or with a mission trip, but what about traveling just for the sake of traveling? Being able to afford such an experience and being old enough to travel alone is the difference between watching a documentary of Japan, and going there. For Will Kyaw, he would much rather travel there.

Will Kyaw and I went to school together from elementary all the way through high school. It was post-graduation when I started to notice him posting the most incredible photographs and videos I have seen. It's one thing seeing photos from a photographer you have never met, but to see someone I knew travel all over the world, it added another level of enjoyment.

I was able to talk with Will before he headed back to college and asked him about his travels, along with advice for others who are dying to travel themselves, but don't know how. Here is what he had to say:

1. Where have you been fortunate enough to travel to so far?

I have been fortunate enough to visit the countries of Qatar, Myanmar, Thailand, Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam, Japan, Malaysia, Singapore, and Canada. In the first seven countries I was backpacking.

2. Out of those countries, do you have a favorite country that you have been to?

My favorite country would have to be Japan, there's just no other place like it. How everything is built, the Japanese people, and how precise and timely everything is.

3. What has been your favorite and least favorite aspects of traveling?

My favorite part of traveling is meeting other travelers from all around the world at hostels and doing new adventures with them every day. Also, the majority of the people at hostels are in their early 20s, so it's always a lot of fun.

My least favorite part of traveling would have to be saying goodbye to the people I have met. It's always difficult to stay in contact with everyone since we might be on different ends of the earth doing completely different things such as starting a new business or finishing school.

(Side Note) - Hostels are basically dormitories where you essentially pay for the bed instead of an entire room. You can be in a room with three other random people or all the way up to 40.

4. What type of photography/videography equipment do you travel with?

I currently carry around a Sony a6000 with two lenses and extra battery packs which covers most picture and video shots. I also carry a glidecam which allows me to get steady walking video shots.

Although, most travelers tend to carry around a GoPro which is also good if you don't know too much about cameras.

5. Many believe that money is the reason they will never be able to travel. Is this really the case or are there more inexpensive ways to travel that people do not realize?

So, if you travel when you're young, it will be the cheapest ever compared to later in life. For example, during this age you will most likely stay in hostels and be able to eat at cheaper food stalls all the time. Well, mainly because you will most likely be budget-constrained as a college student but traveling like this allows you to learn valuable lessons which is crucial later in life.

In the country of Thailand, good hostels go for around $6 while hotel rooms you would most likely stay at as an adult would be considerably higher. Also, as an adult, you would not be able to just pack your bags and leave due to owning pets, having a mortgage, a corporate job, and other responsibilities that come into play. As a young person in their 20's, responsibilities are very few so the best thing left to do is just pack up and leave!

The best and most cost efficient way to travel in a person's 20's, I believe, is to backpack in third-world countries. The biggest cost will always be the air ticket but once that is taken care of, everything else is really cheap. For example, in the country of Vietnam, I ended up buying a motorcycle for $220 and riding it 1,200 miles from North to South and then selling it back for $150. A motorcycle that is in good working condition at this price is unheard of in the states. There are many amazing things you can do for cheap abroad.

Most third world countries you would be able to get around on a daily budget of around $30 or less!

6. What advice do you have for individuals who are going on their own adventures soon?

The best advice I can give would be to be a bit more outgoing in making friends if you aren't because the majority of people are very friendly and are always looking for a good time. The one thing besides cost that people worry about are that people won't like them or they won't have a good time. Trust me, I've backpacked for a good amount of time and I know that the memories you make abroad will be the ones you will keep for a lifetime.

7. Where do you plan on going next?

Possibly backpacking Cuba!

I am not sure about you, but this has definitely inspired me to take those first steps to traveling a lot more! Will Kyaw posts a lot of his photos on his Instagram account. Follow him to see more of his adventures throughout the year!