America The Beautiful: 10 Places To Visit In The Midwest

Looking for travel ideas in the Midwest?

132
JUPC Online

The United States is so vast, with each state having unique characteristics and sites to see. It is a country filled with history and beauty, which can be found throughout National Parks, museums, monuments, and within towns. Over the next few weeks, I will be writing about things to do in each state and what makes each state unique!

Looking for things to do in the Northeastern United States? Check out part one of this five-part article series: America the Beautiful: Part 1 of 5

The Southeastern United States? Check out part two of this five-part article series: America the Beautiful: Part 2 of 5

The Western United States? Check out part three of this five-part article series: America the Beautiful: Part 3 of 5

This week, we are heading to the Mid-West! Here are things to do in the Mid-Western United States:

1. Montana

Montana is filled with history and beautiful landscapes. You can visit Little Big Horn National Monument or explore some of the trails where Lewis and Clark traveled. Looking to spend some time in nature? Visit Glacier National Park! In Glacier National Park, you can drive the "Going to the Sun Road" through the park, see Grinnell Glacier, Avalanche Lake, or Wild Goose Island in St. Mary Lake.

2. Wyoming

Wyoming is home to Yellowstone National Park, which has more geysers than any other geyser field in the world! Within Yellowstone National Park, popular sites include Old Faithful and America's First National Monument, Devils Tower. While in Wyoming, you can also visit Grand Teton National Park, the Buffalo Bill Center of the West, Hot Springs State Park, and ski at Jackson Hole Mountain. Also worth noting is the town of Cody, which is a recreation of a traditional Western frontier town.

3. Colorado

Known for its excellent skiing, Colorado is home to the Rocky Mountains. Don't like the cold, but still like to snowboard? Head to Sand Dunes National Park where you can sandboard down the tallest sand dunes in North America. Looking to attend a concert or just look at amazing rock formations? Check out Red Rocks Amphitheater. Also worth noting is the Colorado National Monument.

4. North Dakota

Named after our 26th President, Theodore Roosevelt National Park spans over 70,400 acres. While in the Park, you can view the Painted Canyon, Prairie Dog Town, and the Oxbow Overlook, just to name a few of the Park's highlights. Want to visit the highest point in North Dakota? Head over to White Butte, which is 3507 feet above sea level.

5. South Dakota

Just South of North Dakota, South Dakota is home to Mount Rushmore. Presidents George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Abraham Lincoln, and Theodore Roosevelt are depicted. If you are looking to spend some time in nature, be sure to check out Badlands National Park, the Black Hills, Black Elk peak (the highest point in South Dakota), and Cluster State Park.

6. Nebraska

Home to the world's largest porch swing, Nebraska is a unique state with many different things to do. Be sure to check out the Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium, the Strategic Air Command & Aerospace Museum, the Ashfall Fossil Beds, Pioneer Village, and the Heartland of America Park. Also worth noting is Chimney Rock, which stands 325 feet tall and is between 23 and 34 million years old!

7. Kansas

Kansas is home to many unique museums including the American Jazz Museum, the Negro Leagues Museum, the Harry S. Truman Presidential Library & Museum, Brown v. Board of Education National Historic Site, Dorothy's House & Land of Oz, the Amelia Earhart Birthplace, the Oz Museum, and the Hallmark Visitors Center, just to name a few. Want to get transported back in time to the wild frontier of the Old West? Head over to Dodge City!

8. Oklahoma

While in Oklahoma, you can visit the National Cowboy and Western Heritage Museum, Tulsa Air and Space Museum & Planetarium, Cherokee Heritage Center, Ed Galloway's Totem Pole Park, or the Museum of the Great Plains. There are also plenty of beautiful outdoor areas such as Natural Falls State Park, Turner Falls, Broken Bow Lake, Heavener Runestone Park, and Mount Scott. Also worth noting is the Oklahoma National City Monument, which is dedicated to the victims of the 1995 Murrah Building bombing.

9. Texas

Texas, also known as the Lone Star State, is filled with rich history, beautiful beaches, and interesting museums. One of the most popular cities to visit is Dallas. In Dallas, you can visit Dealey Plazza, where President John F. Kennedy was assassinated, as well as the Sixth Floor Museum and the Grassy Knoll. Additionally, you can tour Southfork Ranch, where the popular television show "Dallas" was filmed. Want to relax on the beach? Head south to Galveston, an island city on the Gulf Coast. Also worth noting are AT&T Stadium the home of the Cowboys, the Johnson Space Center, and Globe Life Park.

10. Minnesota

Minnesota, the northernmost state (excluding Alaska), is home to many interesting things to do. Here, you can visit the largest shopping mall in the United States, the Mall of America. Not only are there plenty of stores, but there is also a theme park located inside called Nickelodeon Universe. Want to spend some time outdoors, visit Gooseberry Falls, State Park, Minnehaha Park, Split Rock Lighthouse, or take a drive along Minnesota's North Shore Scenic Drive. Also worth noting is the National Eagle Center.