post-trip depression
Wellbeing

Post-Travel Depression is real. Now what?

And it's one of the hardest lessons in life.

22

Coming back from an extended period of travel or living as an expat is harder than when you're going away for the first time. Your ways of thinking have changed so much because of the customs, culture, and influences you've received.

Post-travel depression it's real. After living in New York for two years, I was excited to catch up with my friends back home in Indonesia. When I shared my stories, however, the people I thought would be happy for me, brushed me off and changed the conversation immediately. I felt hurt.

Since then, I realized life back home standstill. I'm very grateful to come back with a new perspective. This journey of self-discovery is not always pleasant. Many times the stress of living abroad outweighs the happiness. But, if you're brave enough to face this and discover who you are, then get packing. Science suggests that a stint as an expat won't just be life-changing, it will be great for your career too.

After contemplating and reading similar experiences online, then I understand. Post-travel depression is real. And it's one of the hardest lessons in my life. I found these tips to be helpful and I hope it will help you too, when you need to adjust back home easily.

See the positives in being back

"Remember that traveling wasn't always a laugh. What about the time your bag got nicked along with your passport and bank cards? How does your bedroom compare with that dorm in the hostel from hell?" – Rough Guides

Be prepared for negativity

"For the period that you have been traveling, you will have been around people who are positive about life, and that rubs off on you. On returning home, be prepared to be offloaded on; family and friends wanted to share everything negative that had gone on in their life while you were away. All this negativity just added to my post-travel depression." – Explorelist

Find support

"You've been to places some people only dream of….And now you are finding it tough being back, in reality, your friends have been living while you were away? You may discover sympathy short-lived and empathy missing"?.So, DO reach out to other people who are experiencing the same feelings as you or better still, have survived the experience." – Destination Unknown

Get back into a regular exercise routine

"Eat healthy foods, and get the rest that your body needs, especially when dealing with jet lag. If possible, don't rush back into work. Instead, slowly ease in and maybe take a day or two off before returning to work." – Sidetracked Travel Blog

Embrace your own backyard

"Being back home doesn't have to mean settling into the same old routine. Have a look around: there might be a deep wilderness you've never unearthed, a prime landmark you've never properly visited, a wealth of fascinating local history you can delve into. You can have a great travel experience on your doorstep." – Wanderlust Travel Magazine

Plan your next adventure

"This is not the end of your holiday or adventure. Think of this as more of a pitstop, a chance to replenish your travel fund and to recover from that trip. Most importantly, this is the time to plan for your next holiday or your once-in-a-lifetime adventure." – We Are Sole Sisters

Top up your escape fund

"One thing is certain once you get back from your trip – your reserve account to fund your travels is now back to ZERO….Be creative and think outside the box. Before you know it, you'll have enough money to be on the road once again." – We Are Sole Sisters

Setting realistic expectations

"One way to avoid getting the blues after you return home is not to have over-inflated expectations of what you're going to do — and more importantly, who you're going to do it with — after you get back. For me, the best policy is trying only to anticipate the givens: Your bed; your car, bike or another form of transport; familiar surroundings; and the language you're used to speaking. Focus your energy on being thankful for the most fundamentally satisfying aspects of being at home — let the rest happen as organically as possible." – Leave Your Daily Hell

Volunteer, network, and connect

"Something we all suffer from when returning home is not being able to express how we feel and what we've experienced with old friends and family who haven't had the same — or at least similar — experiences we have. To help bridge that gap, I started hanging out with travelers in my city who could understand me and the things that I was feeling. I did this not to replace my old friends, but to help myself transition." – She's Wanderful

Be vigilant about thoughts that give rise to negative emotions. Even it may seem very natural

"Do not destroy preciousness of your travel experience by longing for it after you come back by making a mental delusion of conceptualizing it into a "thing" to crave for and wishing to "possess" or "keep" it. Merge with the flow of reality of change by bringing your awareness to the present moment. Joyfully!" – Travel Soul Therapy