Traveling During A Pandemic Makes Me Wonder If We'll Ever Get Back To 'Normal'

I took traveling for granted before the pandemic.

9
Photo by Ross Parmly on Unsplash

I never thought I'd miss normal check-in through an airport or standing in TSA lines.

COVID completely changed that view. It's made traveling just much more stressful. There are so many more precautions that travelers need to know!

I'm traveling to Saint Marten for ten days. Although it's exciting, the preparation for it can be tiring.

Just before I board the flight, I have to take a COVID test, which has to be negative within 48 hours of my flight. While some people have the luxury of doing that, I work full-time and had to squeeze many things together in order to take my test on time. All travelers, even those who are fully vaccinated, are required to take the test. After you receive a negative test, you're required to submit documentation to the Sinnt Marten government to let them know how you're traveling and how long you'll be staying.

The most stressful thing for me back then was just making it too the airport on time.

Now, we're required to wear masks at the airport and on the flight, get our temperature checks, and have our negative COVID tests on hand with us. While I understand all the obstacles I have to go through to stop the spread of COVID-19, it just feels like more errands to run before my flight.

Ultimately, I know that all these things will make my trip that much more worth it.

It's going to be great to see family and relax for ten days! But, I can't help but wonder if we'll ever get back to how traveling use to be pre-COVID. It just felt so simple to book a flight and be done.

Now, it just seems that there's even more of a maze.