Transforming Your Passion

Athletic activities fill a spot in us that we didn't know we were missing. Dance became that for me at a young age. I will admit that even at the end of my senior year I wasn't the best around. My friends were the ones who were getting all of the titles, scholarships, and professional experiences before graduating high school. I on the other had was just enjoying everything dance had to offer.

I had learned so much in those few years. That dance gave me a whole new aspect of what I wanted to do with my future. I had never been sure about what I wanted to do, but when I found dance I had so many ideas running through my head. It never hurt me that I wouldn't become a professional dancer. It only hurts me when I don't dance for a while.

My friends, on the other hand, are still pushing for their goal. They all have so many ideas and plans to reach the professional level. I, on the other hand, haven't pushed dance away because of that "not making it big" thought in my head. Instead, I have found a path that lets me still be creative. It lets me still be involved in what I love.

There are so many majors in college that you can choose from, and I happened to choose one that gives me more time with my passion. I'm transforming from being a dancer to learning how to manage and create events for dancers. One of my majors is entertainment management. It sounds so basic, but it has so many paths you can go down.

I could focus on events, and with that, I could learn how to create and put on competitions, conventions, auditions, etc... Or I can learn how to help dancers become noticed. Help them make sure their name is out there getting them jobs.

That is the way that I chose to go. I chose the business world, and most people wouldn't think the business world is the way to go to stay in touch with a creative side. When you find a path that even sounds interesting, then look into it. Who knows, maybe it'll bring you to what you were originally looking for? I found dance again through my major. So I know it is possible to find another passion through a different form.

If you ran track or did any sports in high school; then becoming a coach is a great way to still stay involved. It's an amazing way to pass on the knowledge that you've built and learned through your years with the next generation coming up. One positive thought can change a whole perspective on how we view things.

Some people who are natural athletes, could've gone so far, get injured and can't play the same way they could before. Everything they knew before the injury is gone. They become lost and don't know what to do. I think those are the best people to share their knowledge of whatever passion they have. It's a great way to keep that love with you.

I've heard this joke ever since I was a kid, " Those who can't, teach". I honestly believe that is one of the best things to keep on your mind. Especially when you're struggling trying to find a way to stay in touch with that passion. I would teach, help lead, or manage if it meant that I could stay in the same circle. As long as it meant that I could keep my passion with me. Just taking a different path at that point.

Anything is worth being able to keep what makes you happy. Whatever keeps you sane should never be forgotten or given up. There are 24 hours in a day, and even though we all get busy with life there is always at least 15 minutes to do what we love. It's okay if you're not good at what you love to do. It's the fact that you love to do it. It brings you joy, and this world needs more of that.

I'm so happy that I was able to find a new way to enjoy my passion. Yes, I still dance when I can, but being able to help future dancers keeps me fighting in my new journey through the business world. There is always another way to reach your goal. It may have shifted, but that is perfectly okay.

Nothing ever works out exactly how we plan it in our heads if it does you're one lucky duck. Never be afraid to step out of your comfort zone. People of all ages are rediscovering their passions and are finding ways to have them in their daily lives. Enjoying your passion, no matter what level you're at gives you at least one thing every day to happy about.

When things don't work out the way you want them too don't give up on it. There is never one answer to life. Find another one. If it means that much to you and if you miss it that much, then you'll do anything to keep it with you.

The business world is the way I chose to stay in touch with my dance side. If you're in the same boat I was in, then I highly recommend finding a way to transform your passion. That a way you can enjoy it every day and never have to give it up.