Transferring Schools Sucked, But It Was The Best Thing To Happen To Me

I hated transferring schools, but it's potentially the best thing to ever happen to me.

25

When I transferred after my freshman year, I was lost. I was too ahead to be considered a newbie and didn't really like the idea of being in a dorm room, but I was too behind to be able to connect with people older. When I transferred, I hated every minute of it, as most people do.

It was scary. I was alone and I felt like I had no guidance. I transferred from a small community college to a giant university, with no friends or family. As someone who is extremely family-oriented, I tried to reach out to my parents and friends back home every moment of the day. I felt it was the only way to actually get through the day.

When my friends back home were living their lives, I ended up getting left in the dust.

This was a hard moment for me. I felt immediately drawn to joining a sorority. But being a minority in a predominantly white university, I felt I could not join in anywhere. I didn't have the funds to be able to join anyways, and overall, I just felt lost.

Then the light at the end of the tunnel, I joined Bumble BFF. It was a life-changing experience, once you get past the scary and boring conversations, I found my best friends.

Below are some tips to help you get out of your shell, without spending tons of money!

1. Stay in the dorms

If you are comfortable with it, stay on campus. This is a great opportunity to find people who are new and wanting to meet new people too!

2. Take classes in the summer

It's the perfect time to meet people, there's less stress and fewer people. Downside: there aren't really any clubs, so you will have to really push yourself to go out and be social.

3. Connect with people in your major

If you are an upperclassmen transfer, meet people within your major. The classes are usually smaller and more group-based.

4. Get a job on campus

While I know this is easier said than done, my on-campus job connected me with so many people. It's a great way to have references around campus!

5. Go to campus events

Whether it's a dive-in movie night at the pool or even cowboys vs aliens, go and try to make friends! These events are typically free and offer food.

Transferring is a big adjustment, but with time and effort, you can find your forever group of friends, without spending hundreds of dollars.