5 Trans Things That People Don’t Talk About

Written by a verified Trans Dude in an effort to clear the air

533
Flickr

1. Depending on when you come out or change your name and pronouns, being called by the “right” name and pronouns can feel weird for a while.

This is because it’s new, not because it’s the wrong name or pronouns

2. Even after coming out, you will misgender yourself.

Maybe in your head, maybe in conversation, maybe both. This is normal. Laugh it off and move on.

3. Your dysphoria might get worse before it gets better.

Coming out and starting hormones causes a lot of changes both socially and physically that can stir up dysphoric feelings. It will get better.

4. HRT can cause mood swings/fluctuations.

Some people notice a dip in their mood before their dose or a boost in it afterward. Some people on testosterone notice they get angrier easier, or more impulsive. Some people on estrogen notice they feel sadder/less energetic, or just more emotional in general. (They also sometimes experience the symptoms of PMSing without the actual PMS.) This is not universal, but it exists. If the symptoms get worse, TALK TO YOUR DOCTOR. They won’t just stop the HRT and tell you to go home. They WILL figure out a dosage that works best for you, and they WILL help you manage the side effects.

5. NOT ALL EFFECTS OF HRT ARE PERMANENT.

Most aren’t. For T, a lower voice and hair growth or loss are permanent. For E, breast growth is permanent to a certain degree, and after a few months on E there’s a high likelihood of becoming sterile, which is also likely permanent.