Track By Track Review Of ‘Evermore’ By Taylor Swift

she comes back stronger than a 90’s trend

50

Earlier this month I logged onto Twitter to see Taylor Swift drop the news of her ninth studio album 'Evermore' around 5 am and two weeks later I still haven't recovered I'm going to need to go track by track and talk about this for my own mental health.

Track 1: willow 

Talk about an album opener!!! Everything about this is as mystical and magical as I wanted it to be. It definitely feels like a continuation of invisible string which we love! It being the lead single makes perfect sense as I truly believe it's one of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard.

Stand out lyrics:

. lost in your current like a priceless wine.

life was a willow and it bent right to your wind

.every bait, and switch was a work of art

Track 2: champagne problems 

I have no words but also all the words somehow? This song is top three all-time Taylor songs for me and she has almost 200. Her delivery? Out of this world! The melody? Killer! My mascara? Ruined. Also, I love that Taylor is as excited as I am to scream “what a shame she's fucked in her head" in a full stadium in a post-pandemic world.

Stand out lyrics:

. this dorm was once a madhouse I made a joke it's made for me

. how evergreen our group of friends don't think we'll say that word again

. she would have made such a lovely bride what a shame she's fucked in the head

Track 3: gold rush 

Hello Jack Antonoff!!! This track has his stamp of creating masterpieces all over it! I love this idea of a person you love who's so well-liked that you compare it then being like a gold rush. It's such a vulnerable track about not having the confidence that no matter how strong things are you still don't like the fact that in Taylor's words “everybody wonders what it would be like to love you".

Stand out lyrics:

. my mind turns your life into folklore

. and the coastal town we never found will never see a love as pure as it

. I don't like slow motion double vision in rose blush

Track 4: ‘tis the damn season 

How is it possible that on this record Taylor put out 2/3 of my top three all-time songs of here? Unreal! As someone who watches too many hallmark movies that's what this song makes me think of but in the best most beautiful way. I moved back to my hometown last year and pictured the exact person I relate this song to. It's just pure perfection.

Stand out lyrics:

. there's an ache in you put there by the ache in me

. and it always leads to you in my hometown

. to leave the warmest bed I've ever known

Track 5: tolerate it 

This puts all other track 5's to shame. This is the saddest song I've EVER heard. I cry every time I listen to it and it's just her top-tier track 5, yes even above All Too Well, cry about it. The lyrics hit so hard and are so unfortunately relatable. I want to give Taylor the fattest hug just thinking about the fact that she can get into a mindset like this. Other songwriters need to take notes because THIS is how you write an emotional ballad.

Stand out lyrics:

. I know my love should be celebrated, but you tolerate it.

.now I'm begging for footnotes in the story of your life.

.gain the weight of you then lose it

Track 6: no body, no crime Featuring HAIM 

This is all I've ever wanted. A complete hot girl shit song where women murder a cheating criminal man. Literally *chefs kiss*! Taylor going back to her country roots while channeling a Carrie Underwood before he cheats vibe is immaculate and adding HAIM into the mix just takes it to another level.

Stand out lyrics:

. her husband's acting different and it smells like infidelity

. good thing his mistress took out a big life insurance policy

. I wasn't letting up until the day he died

Track 7: happiness 

The title is deceiving this is in no way a happy song. It makes me feel so melancholy and it needs to be listened to while sitting down in the shower with the water running over you. It's a song about reminiscing on a bad relationship that had good moments and thinking about how even though you know you'll find happiness after the break up you can't ignore the happiness during the relationship. It's heartbreaking.

Stand out lyrics:

. There'll be happiness after you, but there was happiness because of you

. tell me when did your winning smile begin to look like a smirk

. when did all our lessons start to look like weapons pointed at my deepest hurt

Track 8: dorothea 

HEY DOROTHEA!!! Sorry, it needs to be screamed I can't help it. This song is just magnificent and I kinda thought sounded like it could be able the kids from seven? Maybe I'm just being a swiftie and looking for clues where there aren't any!

Stand out lyrics:

. making a lark of the misery

. the stars in your eyes shined brighter in tupelo

. it's never too late to come back to my side

Track 9: coney island Featuring The National 

Another stellar collaboration! This song feels like it's best listened to sitting on a bench on a foggy day at Coney Island I'll test that theory when I'm there next and get back to you! All the references to past loves (haylors let's make some noise!) make for such a beautifully haunting song.

Stand out lyrics:

. if I can't relate to you anymore then who am I related to?

. and if this is the long haul how'd we get here so soon?

. what's a lifetime of achievement if I pushed you to the edge

Track 10: ivy 

This is another stand out on the album for me! This feels like such a cutesy song while still being so incredible and deep? Taylor Swift has the mind of a mastermind. I picture myself taking way too many photos with “your ivy grows" captions once my overpriced ivy vines come in the mail next week!

Stand out lyrics:

. I'd meet you where the spirit meets the bones

. I can't stop you putting roots in my dreamland

. my house of stone your ivy grows

Track 11: cowboy like me 

At first listen this wasn't a stellar track to me. THANK GOD I listened again. Cowboy like me stans I'm so sorry! This song is beautiful and so soft and sounds so folk-like it makes me feel like Taylor was always meant to sing this music.

Stand out lyrics:

. and the skeletons in both of our closets plotted hard to fuck this up

. and the old men that I've swindled really did believe I was the one

. forever is the sweetest con

Track 12: long story short 

Talk about a jam! This is a song I turn on when I want to sing and dance in my mirror, it's just so much fun. It's the best feel-good song on the album and best believe it's on repeat 24/7. Also, let me clarify that “long story short it was the wrong guy" perfectly sums up my dating life.

Stand out lyrics:

. I tried to pick my battles 'til the battle picked me

. if the shoe fits walk in it 'til your high heels break

. your nemeses will defeat themselves before you get the chance to swing

Track 13: marjorie 

I lost my grandfather this year due to the virus and this song just breaks my heart. The part at the end where she says “and if I didn't know better I'd think you were singing to me now" and then you hear her grandma sing makes me uncontrollably sob. This is almost soon you'll get better level of sad and I don't listen to it too often but it's a stunning work of art.

Stand out lyrics:

. never be so kind you forget to be clever, never be so clever you forget to be kind

. should've kept every grocery store receipt (ouch my heart)

. all your closets of backlogged dreams and how you left them all to me

Track 14: closure 

YES I GOT YOUR LETTER!! YES IM DOING BETTER!! A masterpiece we love to belt! this song is everything I love out of upbeat Taylor songs its lyrics are still incredible and the beat is still strong! Also a big fuck you to everyone who's ever wronged her that thinks she's just stewing in anger.

Stand out lyrics:

. seeing the shape of your name still spells out pain

. i'm fine with my spite, my tears my beers, and my candles

. reaching out across the sea that you put between you and me

Track 15: evermore featuring Bon Iver 

Come on title track! I'd love for Taylor and Justin to keep collabing forevermore! Justin's voice is so deep and breaks and is incredible and taylor's is so light and airy and it makes for the perfect song. I love everything about it.

Stand out lyrics:

. Sending signals to be double-crossed

. is there a line that I could just go cross?

. I had a feeling so peculiar that this pain would be for evermore