immature friend wont grow up
Lifestyles

To The Person I Know Will Never Change, I'm Moving Forward Without You

Life is too short to keep toxic people in your life.

377
woman with bird cage tattoo
Hayley Schmitt

Life is so incredibly short and we have to make the most out of the time we have on earth. This includes doing the things that make you happy and surrounding yourself with people that lift you up instead of pulling you down. It is the positive people in life that help you continue to grow into the person you are meant to be and keep you on a good path.

Unfortunately, you were not one of those people.

Now, I know there are two sides to every story and that the truth is somewhere in the middle, but that middle ground still puts everyone in a toxic position.

No one was happy and the situation was only continuing to cycle down a dark path. The separation needed to happen, and frankly, it should have happened a long time ago.

Life with you was like experiencing the movie "Groundhog Day" in real life, with the same story and cycle on repeat. There was a constant circle of pain and hurt, then apologizing and claiming to change. We knew change was never really possible though.

You put everyone around you through a whirlwind of emotions on a daily basis, forcing them to feel whatever you felt. I also got tired of begging for your attention and having to give up when it was clear I would not receive it. But, I do not dwell on that since it is all in the past.

It is important to forgive people and move on, but that doesn't mean I have to move on with you in my life.

I do forgive you for all the hurt and pain you caused, but I choose to no longer be part of the toxic cycle. I know you think I'm crazy and immature for choosing to not have you in my life. But, it takes real maturity to recognize that a person, no matter the relationship, is not a positive influence on your life and move forward without them.

I truly hope that you change one day, but unfortunately, life is too short for me to wait around until you do. Perhaps I'll feel differently in the future, but for now, I'm just fine with how my life is now and this is how it needs to be. I truly hope you change not for me, but for the new people in your life. Just because it is too late for me, does not mean that others don't deserve to have a positive relationship with you.