Dear Mom, You Survived, And I Wouldn't Have Without You

To my mother, and my best friend.

218
Andrew Council

Mother,

To this day, you are the strongest woman I know. When I was 5 years old, you went through one of the most traumatic experiences any human being could endure. Some do not endure and instead give up, or have their breath taken away by the horrendous procedures which medical professionals refer to as "therapy."

When I was five, and even now, I believed that the word "therapy" meant to relieve and to heal. However, to me, it looked as if it was draining the life you had left. You lost your hair, your abilities, and even sometimes your smile. I would peek my head into your room to see you, just to hear you speak, and to remind myself that you were still here.

I sometimes wonder what life would be like if He had decided to take you back home, to be with Him. What would life be like if your faith has not been as strong as it was? My 19 years on this Earth would be completely different without you. You taught me how to love. As an educator, you couldn't help but imprint many of your values and traits on me.

Although I was the only child you birthed, you educated so many others. You didn't let your pain nor your weaknesses show on your faith, but you put everything in His hands, and I love you for that. Your faith spread throughout our household, affecting all of those who entered. They knew that this was the house of a God fearing woman.

It is important to me that others know what a remarkable person you are. You are humble, so you will never say it yourself. There are many people in this world who say more than they do. I can confidently say that you are not one. You instilled in me the meaning of service, and how to put others before myself. It is beautiful to see, how every day I become more and more like you. I love you, around the world and back again.

Your son.