Only Tourists Know How To Pull A 'TRM': Total Renter Move

Everyone's heard of a Total Frat Move, but what does it mean to pull a Total Renter Move?
24

Because I vacation at the same beach every summer, it's safe to call myself a local. I know the "ins and outs" of the island, as well as everyone in it. When unfamiliar people wander the island doing things that locals would never do, my friends and I refer to them as "renters." Here are some things that I see renters do, or "Total Renter Moves:"

1. Wearing shoes on the beach.

At the beach, there are no shoes allowed. It's just common sense. Where I vacation, locals don't even wear shoes when going for a walk on the boulevard. Lose the shoes, renters.

2. Shaking beach towel upwind.

News flash: shaking your towel upwind on the beach = sand getting in my eyes.

3. Having a sunburn.

If you're a renter, it's safe to assume that your skin is not adjusted to the sun. Therefore, you're rocking the Lobster Look.

4. Taking selfies by the ocean.

Taking selfies on the beach screams, "I am not a local. Hey everyone, look at me."

5. Refusing to buy a beach badge.

It doesn't matter if you're just visiting for a couple of days. Yes, you need to buy a beach badge to access the beach, just like the rest of us.

6. Playing beach games near crowds.

Throwing a frisbee or playing beach paddle are great Beach Day pastimes, but they should not take place near me and my beach chair. Is it obvious that I've been hit with a beach paddle ball too many times to count?

7. Feeding the seagulls.

Seagulls are not your friends. Once you offer them a crumb from your sandwich, they will let their friends know. Before you know it, you will have 10+ seagulls surrounding you and picking at your lunch.

8. Swimming outside the flags.

Not all beaches have warning flags, but the beaches that do have them to keep you safe. When a lifeguard is on duty, you are instructed to swim between the two posted flags any time you enter the ocean. It is easier for the lifeguard to keep track of everyone in the water, and you will be whistled at if you swim outside the flags. It is no surprise that I have found those whistled at to be renters.