Top Ten Things You'll Miss The Most After You Leave Home

Leaving home is never easy, but we all have to do it at some point.

1704
www.dailyrecord.com

Moving away from home is never easy; yet, we all have to do it at some point; and if you're moving farther away than the next county over, the transition can be even more difficult. Even if you've spent your whole life claiming you "can't wait to get out of here", you'll be surprised at just how much you'll miss it. Distance gives us the opportunity to see all of the small blessings we may have missed. Here are the top ten things you'll miss most when you leave home.

1. Mom's home cooking

Whether your mom is a good cook or not, you'll miss her home cooking more than you could imagine. Making dinner takes up a lot more time than you realize. So, one of the first things you'll miss the most when you finally move away is having your mom there to do it for you. No matter how many recipes and cookbooks you try, nothing will ever top your own moms home cooking.

2. All your old friends

Moving away from home also means moving away from the only people who've known you as long as your family has, your best friends. Of course, you will inevitably make amazing new friends wherever your life takes you, but nothing compares to your old friends who know you better than anyone.

3. Family get-togethers

When you live at home, you don't miss out on anything. You're at every family birthday party, random get togethers, and holiday traditions. But when you're hours away from the rest of the clan, you inevitably start missing things. Instead of being at your cousin's baptism, you see pictures of it on Facebook. Though you may have found them boring at the time, you'll realize how special those get togethers where when you start to miss them.

4. Knowing the lay of the land

It seems silly, but knowing exactly where you are and where you're going is actually one of the luxuries you'll miss most when you move away from home. You used to be able to drive wherever you needed to go without having to think twice about it. Now you'll find yourself pulling up the GPS just to find the closest gas station.

5. Your siblings

They may have annoyed you when you were home, but one of the first things you'll miss when your away will be your siblings. When they were around, you were probably always wishing for some time to yourself. Well now that you have that, you'll see that having your siblings always be there (whether you wanted them to be or not) was a real blessing in disguise.

6. Sleeping in your own room

I think this is one that needs no explanation. Sleeping in a new bed is always one of the hardest adjustments whenever you move. After you finally make the big move, you'll find yourself day dreaming of your own bed in no time.

7. Asking for your parents permission

I'm sure many people would disagree with this one. But the truth is, asking for your parents permission is something you'll definitely miss. You can do whatever you want now! But is that really all it's cracked up to be? Needing permission from your parents means they were involved in your life. And realizing that now they aren't involved as much is a bittersweet moment for everyone.

8. Running into someone you know everywhere you go

Whenever you're back home, you inevitably run into someone you know everywhere you go. Although it can be awkward at times, it can also be really comforting to feel like you know so many people. Moving away to a new city can be really lonesome at first, but if you stick it out long enough, you'll reach that level at your new home before you know it.

9. Your assigned chores

Now that you're away from home, it's your sole responsibility to make sure the chores get done. You can't split them up with your siblings anymore. Your parents won't be there to nag you about getting them done. It's up to you to make sure your room isn't a pit and that your bathroom isn't a scene from a horror movie, and that is a responsibility that no one really wants to have.

10. And of course, your pets

Last, but most certainly not least is of course your family pets. Moving away means leaving that critical part of your family behind. You could always get a new puppy, but nothing will compare to your childhood best friend. Even the endless pictures from your mom won't fill the void that your favorite pet has left in your heart.