The Top 10 Songs That Define My Summer

The Top 10 Songs That Define My Summer

For when you're driving with the windows down, on the beach, or anything in between.

483
The Top 10 Songs That Define My Summer

Summer is so close, yet so far away. As I'm writing this, I currently have three finals to study for and two papers to write, and I want nothing more than to be laying on the beach under the warm rays of the summer sun, while my biggest worry is whether I put on enough sunscreen or not.

Since April was basically a second winter, I am missing summer more than I usually am at this point in the year. As a result, (and you definitely knew this coming) I created a playlist with my favorite summer songs. To prepare you for the upcoming summer, I have narrowed it down to my top ten songs to recommend to you for the best season of the year:

10. "Heaven Sent" by Best Coast

"Heaven Sent" by Best Coast has been a staple summer song for me the past few years. I'm not sure if it's because of the album cover or what, but something about the song just says summer to me. If you don't believe me, give it a listen!

9. "Rollercoaster" by Bleachers

"Rollercoaster" by Bleachers embodies the freedoms of summer. Listening to this song just makes me feel free, and allows me to envision myself driving in my friend's car with the sun roof open with it blasting in the background. It's difficult for me to put into words how this song makes me feel--but I suppose the best word to use to describe the feeling is "alive."

8. "Drink Up" by Train

"Drink Up" by Train is an absolute perfect summer song. I mean, just look at the album cover. It is meant to be a song for summer. Listening to it in the fall or winter just wouldn't be right. The song reminds me of being on the beach with my friends, with the sun shining down on us without a care in the world. It's a reminder of that small escape from reality that the beach allows you to enjoy, at least for a little while.

7. "First" by Cold War Kids

Ah, yes. "First" by Cold War Kids is a song that reminds me of the more "nature" side of summer. Rather than the beach, it takes me to driving through or visiting the park, walking amongst the trees and breathing in the fresh air. A beautiful feeling we all wish to experience during summer is being one with nature for a short while, and feeling a sense of peace within the rustling of the trees from a cool breeze and the sun shining through the tree branches.

6. "My Body" by Young the Giant

"My Body" by Young the Giant is another song that resonates with the feeling of freedom and driving around with my best friends with the windows down. It is one of my favorite feelings in the world.

5. "Riptide" by Vance Joy

"Riptide" by Vance Joy will NEVER get old. It is a timeless summer song. Although it primarily reminds me of Summer 2015, it overall applies to every summer. Of course, with it's lyrics being about the ocean, and the soft tune of the ukulele, it screams summer. This list would not be complete without it.

4. "Island in the Sun" by Weezer

Just as "Riptide," this list would also not be complete without "Island in the Sun" by Weezer. A perfect song to listen to on the beach. Or a song to remind you of the beach. Or daydream about being on the beach. Kind of like what I'm doing right now. Have I mentioned I love the beach?

3. "The Beach" by All Time Low

Since the title of this All Time Low song is literally "the Beach," I feel as if I don't have to explain too much as to why this is a summer song. However, definitely give it a listen, the lyrics emphasize the summer-ness even more. According to lead singer Alex Gaskarth, the song is about Ocean City, Maryland, which makes me love it even more because I love it there!

2. "Ocean Avenue" by Yellowcard

"Ocean Avenue" by Yellowcard has always been everything I wanted my summer to be. "There's a place off Ocean Avenue where I used to sit and talk with you..." I mean really, isn't this all our summer dream? A summer fling at the beach? Yes, of course. I also realized after listening to this song that almost every beach has an Ocean Avenue. It made me happy.

1. "Malibu" by Miley Cyrus

"Malibu" was the beginning of Miley's comeback. This song was released about a year ago, and it will forever reminds me of that time period of my life. Summer 2017 was truly defined by this song for me. It's hard for me to detach the song from last summer. Nonetheless, "Malibu" with it's lyrics and melody are a perfect fit for your summer playlist.

Here's to a great summer 2018! ♥