The Top Ten Reasons Why Chickens Make The Best Pets

And why you should convert to the dark side and have a flock of your own.

8710
Erin Stewart

There is an idea that there are only two kinds of people in the world: dog people and cat people. However, I vehemently refute this assertion. There is actually a third type, which happens to be a chicken person. And if I do say so myself, chicken people know where it is at. Chickens are the perfect mix between dogs and cats: they are independent, love people who bring them food, and love waking up the neighbors with their noisy boasting (the dog equivalent of howling at the moon). So here are the top ten reasons why everyone should own chickens (as demonstrated by own and other internet famous poultry).

1. They have individual personalities.

Curious, brave, timid, loud, bossy, friendly, or standoffish, chickens have just as much personality as humans.

2. There is nothing compared to fresh eggs.

Once you get used to eating fresh eggs, every other egg seems grossly unappealing. Fresh eggs always have a darker and more bold appearance and just flat out taste better. The store-bought stuff just pales in comparison.

3. They are funny.

I mean, take a look at them! From the way they walk, run, take dust baths, lay out, cackle and chase bugs. They are a constant source of laughter.

4. They make good pets.

They don't poop in the house or give you half eaten prey. Mostly because if they kill something, they are going to eat it themselves, but at least that is less feed you have to give them.

5. There is no better feeling than a chick falling asleep in the palm of your hand.

Holding a baby chick is about the closest thing to holding love.

6. Getting to explain away chicken myths.

Yes, chickens do fly. And no, unless you have a rooster, there is no chance of there being a baby chick in that egg.

7. Having stories to tell about your crazy chickens.

Like the chicken who flew over the fence, was chased by a dog named Harry Potter, lost her tail feathers, and still lived to tell the tale. Though she never did go back over the fence again.

8. Free manure!

Of course, this only works when the chickens deposit said manure in the correct location.

9. Free pest control!

You have to see this for yourself to get how funny it is. Prepare to be awed at the cute viciousness of these chicks chasing a June bug.

10. Anyone can own a small flock in their backyard.

And lastly, it is fairly easy for anyone to own a small flock of chickens in their backyard.They aren't any more work than a dog or any less thankful than a cat. So, I would say that makes chickens the best, all around purpose pets.