The Top Ten Places To Explore In Kansas City

Here's to the best city in the world.

411
Klarissa McAuley

I grew up in Kansas City and anyone who knows me, knows I am very proud of this. To make things clear before I go much further, when I refer to Kansas City, I am referring strictly to Kansas City, MISSOURI. Kansas City is a unique city in more ways than one. They say location is everything and Kansas City is a gorgeous city smack dab in the middle of rural landscapes. Therefore, the city is the epitome of the best of both worlds and the diversity that the city provides is one of the best parts about it. Here are the top ten places to explore in Kansas City, Missouri.

1. The Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art

The Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art is one of the most popular museums in the city. Admission is always free and the collections of art range from an extensive collection of asian art to the well-known shuttlecocks spread throughout the lawns surrounding the museum, to a life-size glass maze. Even for the artistically challenged, this museum is bound to provide some sort of entertainment.

2. The City/River Market

The historic city market is also known as the river market because it is right next to the Missouri river. The market offers a range of shops, restaurants and of course the farmers market. The Habashi House is an excellent lunch spot any day of the week. The city river market also is home to the historical Steamboat Arabia museum.

3. The West Bottoms

The west bottoms is a favorite for photographers, antique hunters and thrill seekers. The old factories make for some awesome photos and housed inside the old factories are multiple antique shops that are perfect for thrifty shoppers on any Saturday. More importantly, there are multiple haunted houses that come alive during October and people from around the state pay to get scared and ride the five-story and three-story slides down the top of the abandoned factories (the only exit from the haunted houses).

4. Crossroads - The Art District

The crossroads art district really comes alive every first Friday of each month where artists, musicians and people of other talents come together to enjoy a night of free art galleries, street music and of course the food trucks. This is the place to embrace all types of art.

5. Cliff Drive

Cliff drive is located in historic Northeast Kansas City and serves as a state scenic byway. Each weekend the streets are closed to cars so that pedestrians and bicyclists can enjoy this scenic route through Kansas City. A must see in the fall.

6. The Kansas City Workhouse

This is Kansas City's very own castle. The castle is located at 21st and Vine Street. It was originally built as a city jail where inmates were forced to work as part of their sentence. Some may find it creepy, others will find an adrenaline rush in the mystery of this abandoned castle.

7. West Port

Westport is the perfect spot for day time fun as well as night life fun. Westport features tons of bars, restaurants, cute shops and a local favorite, tea drops where they serve delicious bubble tea.

8. Union Station

Union Station replaced a small Union Depot in 1878 and opened as Union Station in 1914. Now, Union Station serves as an attraction for tourists as well as natives. Union Station also houses different traveling exhibitions each year from featuring subjects from the Titanic to the human body.

9. Kaw Point

The Missouri River is one of the key aspects of Kansas City and Kaw Point highlights this perfectly. Although this spot is located just across the border in Kansas, it offers an astonishing view of Kansas City Missouri's downtown.

10. Liberty Memorial

The liberty memorial is an amazing spot in Kansas City for multiple reasons. It serves as the National World War I Museum, as a memorial for the men and women who served in WWI. The memorial also has a torch at the top that is always lit. This memorial also is where you can get one of the best views of the city (pictured below).

The list of awesome places to explore in Kansas City could easily go on and on but these are a couple spots that are definitely worth your time. Feel free to add your favorite KC spots in the comments below!